Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by vikas patil <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/01 10:13:22 UTC

Dynamic modification of rules when using mod_proxy

Hi,
     I have set of backend servers and I use Apache with its mod_proxy
module. These backend servers are constantly updated and hence I would have
to change the proxy configuration to in-corporate these changes. At present
my script basically updates these changes and essentially does a
reload(graceful restart) of Apache. But when the backend cluster becomes
huge and changes are too frequent(say one in every 10 seconds or so on a
comparable scale) reloading of Apache seems like a costly operation. So is
there a way of dynamically modify the proxy rules without having to reload.
If not are there any hooks available to achieve this kind of a behaviour ?

     The reason I choose to go for posting into the dev-list is that I found
a similar discussion unanswered in the users-list (
http://markmail.org/message/43rw3yi5nxj6bqbs ). And also there is a mention
of such kind of a feature in the future releases of Apache in this article :
http://people.apache.org/~mturk/docs/article/ftwai.html.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas A Patil

Re: Dynamic modification of rules when using mod_proxy

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:43:22 +0530
"vikas patil" <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have set of backend servers and I use Apache with its mod_proxy
> module. These backend servers are constantly updated and hence I
> would have to change the proxy configuration to in-corporate these
> changes.

A RewriteMap might be the easiest choice.

>      The reason I choose to go for posting into the dev-list is that
> I found a similar discussion unanswered in the users-list (

What's wrong with noodl's reply there?

> http://markmail.org/message/43rw3yi5nxj6bqbs ). And also there is a
> mention of such kind of a feature in the future releases of Apache in
> this article :
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/docs/article/ftwai.html.

2.2.9 supports variable interpolation in proxy configuration.

Now please use the users list in future.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/