Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net> on 2000/04/12 00:17:11 UTC

Re: LDAP lookup problem/question 1 - "cn=*"

Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Are pure-wildcard queries like "cn=*" allowed in LDAP?

Yes

> I've managed to get the LDAP processing working, but pure-wildcard
> searches don't work.
>
> A query of "cn=*a*" or "cn=*a" works, so I know I've gotten the various
> pieces working.

Try (cn=*).  Sometimes the parenthesis really make a difference in LDAP.

> However, when I try "cn=*", I don't get back the expected list of
> everything.  In fact, the ldap-query element is not even replaced (e.g.,
> with an empty ldapsearch element or an error element).
>
> Is this an LDAP limitation (maybe it doesn't support wildcard-only
> searches)?
>
> Is this a server setting (maybe the server I'm querying doesn't
> allow wildcard-only searches)?

Might be a permissions issue - sometimes ACLs exist restricting the
access (and therefore searching capability) a user class has.  However,
if you can do cn=*a*, you should be able to do cn=*

> Is this an LDAP processor configuration problem or bug?

Can you do this directly through JNDI?  That's be the way to isolate the
problem to Cocoon or not.

-brett

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Brett McLaughlin wrote:

> > Are pure-wildcard queries like "cn=*" allowed in LDAP?
>
> Yes

Actually.. it depends where... :-) if you are specifing the base it is
not, if you specify a query/filter it is.

> > I've managed to get the LDAP processing working, but pure-wildcard
> > searches don't work.
> >
> > A query of "cn=*a*" or "cn=*a" works, so I know I've gotten the various
> > pieces working.
>
> Try (cn=*).  Sometimes the parenthesis really make a difference in LDAP.

The above is a filter expression. See rfc 2254 for the full list. That is
the syntax you should stick to :-)

Dw