Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2005/10/28 20:35:03 UTC

SA for Fedora Core 2 (was: new mail admin needing help)

--On Friday, October 28, 2005 2:07 PM -0400 Ryan O'Neil
<ro...@clevelandnet.com> wrote:

> We currently have a fedora core 2 server running Sendmail, SpamAssassin
> 2.63.
>
> I'd like to upgrade to the newest version of SA 3.1.0 I'm aware that
> some of the user prefs and local.cf will need changed afterwards.  The
> problem I'm having is the instructions for the SA website say to use
> yum install spamassassin but when I run that it tells me I have the
> latest version.  Do I need to manually download and install SA 3.1.0
> using the alternate options (perl makefile.pl etc).

FC2 is supported by the Fedora Legacy project, so you need to add that repo
to your yum config. But I don't think SA has been updated in Legacy.
Instead, you should get the tarball from the SA website and build it using
the indicated rpmbuild command. Then install the resulting binary RPM.

To avoid running rpmbuild as root, chown the directory tree /usr/src/redhat
to the user you want to run rpmbuild as:

chown -R randomuser.randomuser /usr/src/redhat

Then run rpmbuild:

rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0.tar.gz

Now install the binary that results:

rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/spamassassin-3.1.0-1.i386.rpm

(Check the output of rpmbuild to see what binary RPM's are created and
available to be installed.)

RE: SA for Fedora Core 2 (was: new mail admin needing help)

Posted by Ryan O'Neil <ro...@clevelandnet.com>.
I did a quick check of the server at the console.

I was incorrect before it's core 1 not 2

I think one our name servers is 2

On Oct 28, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Friday, October 28, 2005 2:07 PM -0400 Ryan O'Neil
> <ro...@clevelandnet.com> wrote:
>

>> We currently have a fedora core 2 server running Sendmail,
>> SpamAssassin
>> 2.63.
>>
>> I'd like to upgrade to the newest version of SA 3.1.0 I'm aware that
>> some of the user prefs and local.cf will need changed afterwards.
>> The
>> problem I'm having is the instructions for the SA website say to use
>> yum install spamassassin but when I run that it tells me I have the
>> latest version.  Do I need to manually download and install SA 3.1.0
>> using the alternate options (perl makefile.pl etc).
>>

> FC2 is supported by the Fedora Legacy project, so you need to add
> that repo to your yum config. But I don't think SA has been updated
> in Legacy. Instead, you should get the tarball from the SA website
> and build it using the indicated rpmbuild command. Then install the
> resulting binary RPM.

Alternatively, a search of rpm.pbone.net showed that SA 3.1 was
available.

FWIW, our plan is to migrate off FC and then upgrade at the same time.

Re: SA for Fedora Core 2 (was: new mail admin needing help)

Posted by Chris Alexander <ch...@crc.ca>.