Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Goehring, Chuck Mr., RCI - San Diego" <cg...@resourceconsultants.com> on 2003/10/13 21:30:34 UTC

RE: Why should I use Tomcat vs .NET?

Eduardo,

A couple interesting points involves myself and my coworker. He has about ten years of VB programming experience.  None of his code can be migrated to vb.net without major rewriting because there is no semblance of backward compatibility.  It wouldn't be practical for the customer to pay him to convert the app to dot.net, so he's stuck in 1998.  All the VB programmers have been screwed by Microsoft this way.

With me, I've been doing Java and perl for about 6 years.  Because of the contracting environment I'm in, it looked like my work was going to dry up.  An opportunity came along for me within the company.  They wanted to do ASP 2.0 web development because they had to meet a variety of government requirements and ASP had been approved for use.  Thinking I was going to have to do that project, I checked into it.  Firstly, the ASP code they were going to write is totally incompatible with ASP.net, so it was going down a dead path.  To cover all the bases, I did some research into upgrading my copy of Visual C++ 6.0 to Visual Studio.net.  MS wanted $450 for the upgrade.  That's a lot for me to fork over to start over with a completely different system that has limited uses.  Fortunately, I didn't have to go that route, but it came close.

Comparing that to continuing with Tomcat and Eclipse or NetBeans or JCreator (free version), I can't see why anyone would choose to go the dot.net route.  MS has also done a powerplay on the folks that use Frontpage Extensions.  The Frontpage 200x now requires that you subscribe to a service from Microsoft to enable important features of the product.  It is a lot like extortion.

I like using the free products because I can dump any of them at any time without feeling guilty about wasting the company's money.  Once you spend thousands to use a proprietary product, you may never be able to escape.  I still have to support an ancient Developer 2000 product that can't be cost-effectively be migrated to a newer version and has all kinds of compatibility issues when used with newer products.

Chuck