Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jimi Hullegård <ji...@mogul.com> on 2010/04/19 18:53:11 UTC

Display log in a web page?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a open source project that provides a way to display the "content" of one or more Log4j appenders to a web page? I want to use it in a admin web application so that one can easily look at various log files.

So instead of using ConsoleAppender or FileAppender one could use some custom appender that collects logging that should be displayed on the web page. And on that web page maybe it is possible to enter text (maybe regex) to filter out what log lines to display, and a possibillity turn "auto update" (ie "tail") on or off.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a web base component/widget that acts almost as the application BareTailPro ( http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretailpro/index.php ).

In my case the admin web application will reside in the same Tomcat as the the web application it administrates. And the expected traffic is low and the web server is not publically available. So I'm not worried about the security or the performance issues that could be the case for normal web applications.

Does such a thing exist? Maybe something similar? I have looked around for something like this but not found anything usefull.

Any tips would be very welcome. For example, if a log4j-specific solution doesn't exist, then maybe there exists a solution that can display simple log text files in a similar fashion?

Regards
/Jimi

Re: Display log in a web page?

Posted by Jimi Hullegård <ji...@mogul.com>.
I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow you now... Who are "we"? The Log4j developer team? Whirlpool? (I though Wirlpool was a household appliance manufacturer)

/Jimi