Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org> on 2013/10/17 21:49:45 UTC

Public IPs on Guest VMs within CloudStack 4.2.0

All,

Now I'm curious about public IPs on Guest VMs within CloudStack 4.2.0.

I have one IPv4 /27 for Public IPs and that's working fine.  Now what
I want to do is assign a live IP address from another /27 to a Guest VM,
which appears to work but can't actually touch the default gateway.

So here's the rub: The default gateway is actually provided as a virtual
IP on two VRRP nodes (for A/B redundancy) by my upstream provider.  I can
ping the two VRRP routers, I can see the VM has the proper IP address,
netmask, and default gateway; and I can configure the VM with a proper
IP config which never finds the default gateway IP.  The arp cache sees
the local MAC address and incomplete for the gateway.

So now I'm thinking; according to cloudstack, is the default gateway plumbed
on a virtual router?  If so, how does THAT route out to the world?

I also have a /64 of IPv6 space, /96 of which I have configured in a network
offering which has the same upstream infrastructure situation.  Same lack of
functionality there.

So how do I configure my Guest real IP netblocks?  Is it okay to be looking
for a default gateway IP on a my provider's core router or do I need to have
them statically route that netblock to something like the cloudstack
management host?

Of course I could also have the network offering wrong or incomplete.

Any thoughts or pointers to documentation would be appreciated.

I can tell I'm making progress because I keep dealing with progressively
higher level errors. :)

Thanks.

Bryan Manske

---
"Earnest falsehoods left unchallenged risk being accepted as fact."
 -- Monty "xiphmont" Montgomery - Xiph Foundation, on the Ogg format
---

Re: Public IPs on Guest VMs within CloudStack 4.2.0

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
Thanks.  That was helpful.  I see there are two more options for network
isolation in 4.2.0 (VLAN, GRE, STT, VNS, and SSP) and was wondering about
them but couldn't find any documentation.

So how do I determine whether VLAN or GRE is better for my use case?

Thanks again.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/OVS+Tunnel+Manager+for+CloudStack

http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/08/30/going-beyond-cloudstack-advanced-networking-how-i-replaced-the-virtual-router-with-my-own-physical-linux-router/

http://blog.remibergsma.com/2012/03/10/howto-create-a-network-in-cloudstack-without-a-virtual-router/

> >> Proxy

> >> lables

---

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
> [...]

> > advice please?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Bryan Manske
> >

> > Quoting Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>:
> >

> > > Sanjeev,
> > >
> > > I followed a YouTube video explanation and did specify the tags
> > > "cloud-public"
> > > to the guest and public networks - and "cloud-private" to the management
> > > network.  The "public" IPs work fine for things like SSVM and Console
> Proxy
> > > VM,
> > > hence my confusion.  I also used the "cloud-public" tag in two simple
> > > network service offerings, one with no services and one with just DSN,
> > DHCP,
> > > and userdata.  No firewalls or security groups and default egress policy
> > > set to "allow", although I'm not sure it was needed there.

---

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
All,

> [...]

> > "cloud-public"
> > to the guest and public networks - and "cloud-private" to the management
> > network.  The "public" IPs work fine for things like SSVM and Console Proxy
> > VM,
> > hence my confusion.  I also used the "cloud-public" tag in two simple
> > network service offerings, one with no services and one with just DSN,
> DHCP,
> > and userdata.  No firewalls or security groups and default egress policy
> > set to "allow", although I'm not sure it was needed there.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Bryan
> >

> > Quoting Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>:
> >
> > > Hi Bryan Manske,
> > >
> > > Did you specify the tags cloud-public and cloud-private as traffic lables
> > for
> > > public and private trafifics in the physical network ?

---

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
All,

> [...]

> "cloud-public"
> to the guest and public networks - and "cloud-private" to the management
> network.  The "public" IPs work fine for things like SSVM and Console Proxy
> VM,
> hence my confusion.  I also used the "cloud-public" tag in two simple
> network service offerings, one with no services and one with just DSN, DHCP,
> and userdata.  No firewalls or security groups and default egress policy
> set to "allow", although I'm not sure it was needed there.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan
>

> Quoting Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>:
>
> > Hi Bryan Manske,
> >
> > Did you specify the tags cloud-public and cloud-private as traffic lables
> for
> > public and private trafifics in the physical network ?

---

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
Sanjeev,

I followed a YouTube video explanation and did specify the tags "cloud-public"
to the guest and public networks - and "cloud-private" to the management
network.  The "public" IPs work fine for things like SSVM and Console Proxy VM,
hence my confusion.  I also used the "cloud-public" tag in two simple
network service offerings, one with no services and one with just DSN, DHCP,
and userdata.  No firewalls or security groups and default egress policy
set to "allow", although I'm not sure it was needed there.

Thanks.

Bryan

Quoting Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>:

> Hi Bryan Manske,
>
> Did you specify the tags cloud-public and cloud-private as traffic lables for
> public and private trafifics in the physical network ?
>
> -Sanjeev

---

Posted by Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>.
Hi Bryan Manske,

> [...]

> network offering which has the same upstream infrastructure situation.
> Same lack of functionality there.
>
> So how do I configure my Guest real IP netblocks?  Is it okay to be
> looking for a default gateway IP on a my provider's core router or do
> I need to have them statically route that netblock to something like
> the cloudstack management host?
>
> Of course I could also have the network offering wrong or incomplete.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers to documentation would be appreciated.
>
> I can tell I'm making progress because I keep dealing with
> progressively higher level errors. :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan Manske
>

> ---
> "Earnest falsehoods left unchallenged risk being accepted as fact."
>  -- Monty "xiphmont" Montgomery - Xiph Foundation, on the Ogg format

---

Posted by Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>.
All,

> [...]

> offering which has the same upstream infrastructure situation.  Same lack of
> functionality there.
>
> So how do I configure my Guest real IP netblocks?  Is it okay to be looking
> for a default gateway IP on a my provider's core router or do I need to have
> them statically route that netblock to something like the cloudstack
> management host?
>
> Of course I could also have the network offering wrong or incomplete.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers to documentation would be appreciated.
>
> I can tell I'm making progress because I keep dealing with progressively
> higher level errors. :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan Manske
>

> ---
> "Earnest falsehoods left unchallenged risk being accepted as fact."
>  -- Monty "xiphmont" Montgomery - Xiph Foundation, on the Ogg format

---

Posted by Jayapal Reddy Uradi <ja...@citrix.com>.
Create share network with your ip ranges and add vm nic to in the share network.

-Jayapal

Posted by Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>.
Hi,