Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/08/06 10:36:57 UTC

More Netty Problems lurking...

Hi all,

as I just worked a little bit with netty I took a bit of time to review the netty usage we have.
And it looks to me as if we have some debt left in there.
Of course, no one of us is a netty pro but we should find a way to test and harden our connections especially if we target “big data” architectures or long running processes.

I started with some changes which I pushed to the branch: https://github.com/apache/plc4x/tree/fix-netty-usage

What I do:
In the (changed) “HelloPlc4X” class I try to read multiple fields from a REAL plc.
In the S7Protocol class I fail after some exchanges.
It took me quite a while to figure out how to handle this situation properly : )

Any feedback is appreciated and if no one objects I would prepare this as PR / merge it to develop (of course without the Hacked HelloPlc4X and S7Protocol).

Julian