Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dietrich Schulten <sc...@escalon.de> on 2005/11/08 16:07:09 UTC

[M2] How to add generation-only dependencies like junitdoclet

Hi,

some dependencies are used as external tools for generation only, for
instance junitdoclet. They are not needed in the distribution. The
scopes compile, test, runtime do not suffice as it seems.

What is best-practice to use such tools with Mvn?

Regards,
Dietrich

Re: [M2] How to add generation-only dependencies like junitdoclet

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 16:07 +0100, Dietrich Schulten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some dependencies are used as external tools for generation only, for
> instance junitdoclet. They are not needed in the distribution. The
> scopes compile, test, runtime do not suffice as it seems.
>
> What is best-practice to use such tools with Mvn?

You would make a plug-in for junitdoclet which you would then use in
your project and plug-in depenencies are fully separate from your
project.

The use of tools is encapsulated in plug-ins. Generating sources of any
kind would be handled by a plug-in. The closest example we have is this:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-generating-sources.html

Your junitdoclet plug-in would look very similar to that.

> Regards,
> Dietrich

jvz.

Jason van Zyl