Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Volker Weber <us...@weber-oldenburg.de> on 2005/11/16 18:01:38 UTC

Why is verbatim component transient?

Hi,

i just came over a problem with verbatim tags in ajax enabled components.
see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40myfaces.apache.org/msg12124.html

The UIOutput components created for verbatim tags are not saved to state
because there are explicitly set to transient.

This makes it impossible to use verbatim tags in content of ajax components.

Is there a spec reason for this, then we should have a tomahawk
verbatim, or is this just because of performance?

If not a spec reason this should be changed because seems to be a bug.

Regards
  Volker
--
Don't answer to From: address!

Re: AJAX & verbatim problem (Was Re: Why is verbatim component transient?)

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, right.

I was talking for my personal usage ;)

regards,

Martin

Posted by Volker Weber <us...@weber-oldenburg.de>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <us...@weber-oldenburg.de>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <vo...@weber-oldenburg.de>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <vo...@weber-oldenburg.de>.
It's in the spec :-(.

9.4.17
... and the transient property must be set to true. ...

Any thoughts about having a <t:verbatim> tag?

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@obsidium.com>.
Volker Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just came over a problem with verbatim tags in ajax enabled components.
> see:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users%40myfaces.apache.org/msg12124.html
>
> The UIOutput components created for verbatim tags are not saved to state
> because there are explicitly set to transient.
>
> This makes it impossible to use verbatim tags in content of ajax components.
>
> Is there a spec reason for this, then we should have a tomahawk
> verbatim, or is this just because of performance?
>
> If not a spec reason this should be changed because seems to be a bug.

I would expect that the reason is for performance/memory/bandwidth
usage. As far as I can see, a UIOutput component (including f:verbatim
contents) can simply be recreated during render and discarded after;
there are never any events or model updates generated by an output
component so the component state is irrelevant.

And an f:verbatim component can potentially be very large. It would be a
great waste to store its entire state in memory - or even worse, to
stream it down to the client then back to the server when using
client-side state saving.

By the way, in most apache projects cross-posting to two different mail
lists is regarded as a bad thing. I've replied only to the user list
here; surely all developers will be subscribed to that.

Regards,

Simon

Re: Why is verbatim component transient?

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.