Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jae Lee <jl...@fortissoftware.com> on 2007/08/22 23:50:49 UTC

SVN: Can't create tunnel: The system cannot find the file specified

I'm trying to setup Subversion on Windows 2003 R2.  I used the One-Click
Subversion setup to install subversion and setup my first repository.
I'm able to access it fine on a remote client.  But when I tried to
implement SSH, I ran into a world of hurt.

I've installed Putty, and I'm able to access the server.  However, when
I try to access the repository (locally on the server through a DOS
box), I get the following error:

D:\Projects>svn co svn+ssh://jlee@10.9.10.20/TestProject1

svn: Can't create tunnel: The system cannot find the file specified.

I've researched the mailing list archives, and I've tried the
suggestions (including copying the Plink.exe to the same directory as
the svn.exe file), but I'm still getting the same error.  I've also
tried to check to see if there's a case issue with the repository files
by running the SVN command using the  "LS" option in the repository
directory:

D:\svnrepos>svn ls

svn: '.' is not a working copy

I'm not sure if this means I have an issue with the repository.

The subversion version that was installed was 1.3.2.  I'm aware that a
later version, 1.4.4 is now available, but I'm not sure if this would
solve my issues and put what functionality I do have with SVN at risk.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Re: SVN: Can't create tunnel: The system cannot find the file specified

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Jae> I’ve researched the mailing list archives, and I’ve tried the
    Jae> suggestions (including copying the Plink.exe to the same
    Jae> directory as the svn.exe file),

When you made that copy, did you also ensure that the copy was named
ssh.exe?  That's critical.  Oh, and I recommend that you use
_TortoisePlink.exe_, not _Plink.exe_.  The only difference that I know
of is: the latter opens an annoying console window when it runs,
whereas the former doesn't.

    Jae> D:\svnrepos>svn ls

    Jae> svn: '.'  is not a working copy

    Jae> I’m not sure if this means I have an issue with the
    Jae> repository.

It does not.  It means just what it says (note that repositories and
working copies are different things).  It's nothing to worry about.

    Jae> I’m aware that a later version, 1.4.4 is now available, but
    Jae> I’m not sure if this would solve my issues

It would not.  However, once you get ssh working, you should consider
upgrading; 1.3 is pretty old.

--
Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid
thinking.  There is an almost universal quest for easy answers