Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jcarreira <jc...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 21:21:56 UTC

Defining Destinations: applicationContext or activemq XML?

Should I define my destinations in my applicationContext.xml or my
activemq.xml? I need to use my Queues in the rest of my Spring
configuration, but ActiveMQ doesn't seem to see the Queues (via JMX) unless
I define them in the activemq.xml.

Re: Defining Destinations: applicationContext or activemq XML?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/4/06, jcarreira <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I define my destinations in my applicationContext.xml or my
> activemq.xml?

The classes ActiveMQQueue and ActiveMQTopic are simple POJOs (kinda
like URL and URI classes) that don't do very much other than represent
the name of a destination. So you can define them wherever you like.

> I need to use my Queues in the rest of my Spring
> configuration,

Then spring.xml sounds fine.

> but ActiveMQ doesn't seem to see the Queues (via JMX) unless
> I define them in the activemq.xml.

Ah - some background here...

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/how-do-i-create-new-destinations.html

If you create destination objects on the 'client side' then they don't
appear in JMX until they are actually used on the broker (folks send
messages to them etc). However if you tell the broker to start the
destinations on startup they appear instantly in JMX
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/configure-startup-destinations.html

--

James
-------