Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by preeti kumari <pr...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/13 12:29:48 UTC

Configuring F5 load balancer with Solr cloud to switch between clusters on separate servers

Hi,

I have a solr cloud setup.
Two clusters - Primary and Secondary. Each cluster has two collections.
Primary cluster is hosted on Solr Node N1,   N2,  N3
Secondary Cluster is hosted on Solr Nodes N3, N4, N5 .
All solr nodes are on different physical servers.
Primary clusters are running on zk1,zk2,zk3 quorum  whereas Secondary is
running on zk4,zk5,zk6.

Now for production i need to configure F5 such that if i don't have
response from Primary cluster , i should route it to Secondary cluster.

Please let me know how F5 would help to achieve this.

How to configure solr nodes to F5 load balancer?
If any other load balancer would help to achieve this or using
cloudsolrclient will make my setup fault tolerant.

Thanks
Preeti

Re: Configuring F5 load balancer with Solr cloud to switch between clusters on separate servers

Posted by preeti kumari <pr...@gmail.com>.
Updating the info :

Primary cluster is hosted on Solr Node N1,   N2,  N3
Secondary Cluster is hosted on Solr Nodes N4, N5, N6.
All solr nodes (N1-N6)  are on different physical servers.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/13/2016 4:29 AM, preeti kumari wrote:
> I have a solr cloud setup.
> Two clusters - Primary and Secondary. Each cluster has two collections.
> Primary cluster is hosted on Solr Node N1,   N2,  N3
> Secondary Cluster is hosted on Solr Nodes N3, N4, N5 .
> All solr nodes are on different physical servers.
> Primary clusters are running on zk1,zk2,zk3 quorum  whereas Secondary is
> running on zk4,zk5,zk6.
>
> Now for production i need to configure F5 such that if i don't have
> response from Primary cluster , i should route it to Secondary cluster.
>
> Please let me know how F5 would help to achieve this.
>
> How to configure solr nodes to F5 load balancer?
> If any other load balancer would help to achieve this or using
> cloudsolrclient will make my setup fault tolerant.

You will need to ask someone who knows about the F5 how to do this.
This question is outside the scope of this mailing list.

With haproxy (software load balancer) instead of F5, you would set all
of the servers in the second cluster as backup servers, which means they
would not be considered for usage unless all of the first cluster
servers were down.  I use haproxy with Solr, so I happen to know how it
works.

CloudSolrClient (from SolrJ) is only designed to handle one cluster --
it would not be able to fail over to a second cluster.

Thanks,
Shawn