Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/29 12:55:27 UTC

XML-RPC need maintenance :

Who on this list agreed to have more people involved on XML-RPC maintenance ?

- Goals

* Keep track à Bugzilla

* Release a XML-RPC 2.0 final with all the various patches and
enhancements sent lasts months.

I'm using XML-RPC on production, as such I need a stable and known
release, so you could count me on.

As a tomcat commiter I've got some experience around ASF procedure,
BZ, beta/release cycles, and of course HTTP.

Who's also candidate ?

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:55:27 +0200, Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who's also candidate ?

As already said, I am quite ready. However, I'd definitely like to see
directions, which
aren't necessarily welcome:

- SAX2 parser support (MinML might still be available via an adapter)
- extensions beyond the XML-RPC spec (of course available only if
explicitly enabled),
  which won't work unless client and server are both using ws-xml-rpc.

Of course, the above things could very well live in a branch or go
into a version 3. However, given the above, I am definitely not the
ideal candidate,

Jochen

Inside of a dog, its too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Alexei Matiouchkine <al...@bliinc.com>.
Though I'm new in this mailing list, I would strongly appreciate the idea of
having better XML-RPC maintenance.

I personally could supply patches for XML-RPC through proxy with authorization
(now supports HTTP/SOCKS/DIRECT proxies) and UTF'ed XML requests.

I would also suggest to discuss in details what's to be implemented in ver2.0
(with milestones, huh).

Also I could be helpful in design/implementation I definitely will not bring a
lot of profit for the common good as maintainer.

.....A
(Alexei Matiouchkine)

--
.....A
Alexei Matiouchkine

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message
        is confidential and intended only for certain recipients.
        If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified
        that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
        use of this communication and any attachments is strictly
        prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
        please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the
        message without copying or disclosing it.

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Ken Weiner <kw...@gmail.com>.
There seems to be an instance of Bugzilla running as well as an
instance of JIRA for the XML-RPC project.  I assume that JIRA is now
the official place to track issues.  Is that right?  If so, someone
should probably update the website to point to JIRA:
http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/issue-tracking.html

-Ken

Re: Summary - WAS Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Jochen,

I'm too happy if some of the committers are back .... :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

I try to sum up the various mails regarding the ongoing maintainance of
XML-RPC

CURRENT SITUATION
which never made it into CVS

POTENTIAL MAINTAINERS

After a various mails there seem to be no objections to resurrected the
XML-RPC project.  Having said that Idon't know the roles of the people
voting +1 ....

+) Jochen Wiedmann (somewhere a Jakarta Committer)
+) Henri Gomez (Tomcat Committer)
+) Siegfried Goeschl (Turbine/Fulcrum Committer)

TODO

+) contact the PMC (is it pmc@ws.apache.org ?) to get a decision about
new committers
+) create a public roadmap of patches to be applied to 2.0 in JIRA
+) release a XML-RPC 2.0 without changes the API to avoid breaking
existing applications

MISC

I uploaded the new website to
http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/xmlrpc/index.html

Thanks in advance,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Well, someone with the appropriate permissions can move
http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/xmlrpc/ to the official location ...
I generated it today

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by David Griffiths <dg...@hursley.ibm.com>.

RE: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Bob Arnott <bo...@aungate.com>.

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Sebastian Dransfeld <se...@sintef.no>.
On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 21:13, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
>
> >>I would really like to see the Collections framework be supported, with
> >>mapping of java.util.Map to <struct> and java.util.List to <array>.
> >

> > I second that, and have a question (sorry if it's dumb) - in various
> > places the current API uses Vector, is this really required? List would be
> > better and still be backwards-compatible with client code.
>
> To me, these are topics for a version 3, which would need to get rid of
> some compatibility topics.

The Collections framework is old now. Who still uses Vector and
Hashtable? I vote for Collections in 2.0. BTW, I sent a patch for this a
while ago.

Sebastian

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Holger Hoffstätte <ho...@wizards.de>.
Nils_Kilden-Pedersen@Countrywide.Com wrote:
> I would really like to see the Collections framework be supported, with
> mapping of java.util.Map to <struct> and java.util.List to <array>.

I second that, and have a question (sorry if it's dumb) - in various
places the current API uses Vector, is this really required? List would be
better and still be backwards-compatible with client code.

Good to see some discussion here :)

Holger

Re: XML-RPC need maintenance :

Posted by Ni...@Countrywide.Com.
"Henri Gomez" <he...@gmail.com> wrote on 03/29/2005 02:55:27 AM:

> * Release a XML-RPC 2.0 final with all the various patches and
> enhancements sent lasts months.

I would really like to see the Collections framework be supported, with
mapping of java.util.Map to <struct> and java.util.List to <array>.

Nils