Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/17 01:03:25 UTC

sometimes too much help is not helping - r725533

Brett,

Please don't change the code you don't understand without, at least,
consulting people who work on it.

I lost entire day between yesterday and today, trying to understand why
my unit tests suddenly stopped working. They traced to your commit
r725533 which emptied jar files in mercury-ant-tasks! Unit tests were
using those jars to compile test code.

I appreciate the help, but help that adds value to the project, not
hinders it. Take, for example, Ben - he found a bug and posted the
solution in jira, because he was not sure that it can break tests. It
did break them, but together we found the solution (btw - he was right).

Our team is very responsive, and posting problem in jira usually gets
them resolved.

Thanks,
Oleg

RE: sometimes too much help is not helping - r725533

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
There is only one team, the Maven team.

However I think it's fair to ask that people be careful when changing
things that are being actively developed by another person, at least
over-communicate to avoid collisions. AFAIK, the issue was resolved
already by both sides.

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 17-Dec-08, at 9:57 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  In this thread you are talking about several teams. I'm considering
>> there
>> is only one maven team. If this not the case is there someone who can
>> explain to me which teams we have and who is working in which ?
>>

> Obviously there are people working on Mercury, Maven, Doxia, Maven
> SCM. In this particular case Oleg was referring to himself and
> Benjamin as that's what's formed around Mercury.

Actually, Benjamen, Herve and myself is the group of people I was
referring to.

Overall: guys - Brett and I came to conclusion that it's a mere common
sense to communicate any changes via jira, and that is good to simply
talk from time to time. Case closed, court adjourned :)

Cheers,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
I think Oleg answered the Mercury question: currently himself, Hervé
and Ben.
On 17-Dec-08, at 2:55 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> [...]
>> that's
>> what's formed around Mercury. It really boils down to some commons
>> sense and
>> respect.
>>
>> Arnaud, at Octo you are one company and probably have many
>> projects. Do
>> you, while not being heavily active or not at all, walk into another
>> consultants project and change things that break tests? I seriously
>> doubt
>> it. It's not any different here. The patterns that form in the real
>> world
>> actually apply here as well. You probably have different people
>> working on
>> different things. You work together as a community even at work,
>> like we do
>> here. You work together to service your users or clients, like we
>> do here.
>> You probably don't obstruct your co-workings from getting their
>> work done.
>> Apache is not some magical place where these basic constructs just
>> disappear. Groups form naturally, teams within teams.
>>
>> Teams, these groups that form, communicate if they want to be
>> effective.
>> And that is the crux of Oleg's argument.
>>
>> The beauty of Apache is that everyone has the potential to
>> contribute as
>> much as they wish. Not that you are instantly equal because you are a
>> committer on a project. To believe that you negate all meritocracy
>> and show
>> little or no respect for the person who contributes the most for
>> whatever
>> reason is not acceptable to me. It's just basic common sense, and the
>> pattern that every successful community in the world exhibits. Just
>> give a
>> heads up is what it boils down to and that's all Oleg was asking for.
>>

>>  cheers
>>>
>>> Arnaud.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Oleg Gusakov
>>> <ol...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>
>>> Brett,

>>> --
>>> Arnaud HERITIER
>>> 12 guidelines to boost your productivity with a Java software
>>> factory -
>>> http://tinyurl.com/56s9tw
>>> OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
>>> www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
>>> ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
>>> www.apache.org | maven.apache.org
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>
>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...
>>
>> -- Shakespeare

> Arnaud HERITIER
> 12 guidelines to boost your productivity with a Java software
> factory -
> http://tinyurl.com/56s9tw
> OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

   -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: sometimes too much help is not helping - r725533

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 17-Dec-08, at 9:57 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  In this thread you are talking about several teams. I'm considering
> there
> is only one maven team. If this not the case is there someone who can
> explain to me which teams we have and who is working in which ?

Obviously there are people working on Mercury, Maven, Doxia, Maven
SCM. In this particular case Oleg was referring to himself and
Benjamin as that's what's formed around Mercury. It really boils down

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Oleg and I sorted out the misunderstanding offline. It's all good.

- Brett

On 17/12/2008, at 2:19 PM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Brett,
>
> Trust me, I don't enjoy this discussion no more that you, but I have
> to respond.
>
> Brett Porter wrote:
>> I'm sorry you lost some time investigating it, but I made every
>> attempt to do this properly.
>>
>> At the time I made the change, I cleaned out the checkout and did a
>> build without getting any test errors. This was confirmed by the
>> grid: https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/view/Mercury/job/mercury-ant/6/
>>
>> It appears your change to test using compilation was only checked
>> in afterwards. I'm afraid I'm still working on my ability to
>> predict the future :)
> This statement suggests that I am a dumb coder, who submits tons of
> jars to SVN for the pleasure of just having them there. I admit that
> I did not commit the tests using those jars right away.
>
> But give me some credit: everything has a reason. And if this reason
> is not clear - ask, don't assume you know everything and can improve
> without knowing. I did acknowledge your suggestion about the size of
> test repo, and started fixing it. If you would have just suggested
> the solution, provided a script in jira - that would only raise a
> lot of gratitude.
>
> But hindering a pre-alpha quality project by assuming things and
> changing still unstable data, this is simply not fair. Losing a day
> over such a trivial matter - I simply did not expect anyone to do
> such a thing.
>
> I apologize if this sounds harsh, but believe me - the sole purpose
> is to improve our process, make sure that this does not happen in
> the future.
>
> So the proposal is: change the rules to say the following: "if you
> don't work on an actively developed project - don't start modifying
> it without consulting the team, working on it. If you do find a bug
> or improvement - communicate with developers via issue tracking
> system and other means" This is not predicting the future - just
> common sense.
>
> Thanks,
> Oleg

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: sometimes too much help is not helping - r725533

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 17/12/2008, at 11:03 AM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Brett,
>
> Please don't change the code you don't understand without, at least,
> consulting people who work on it.

I did try... http://markmail.org/message/ifkbjf3rb24z3wvb

I have a good understanding of how the code works. Outside of the
Jetty client, I think I may be the only person (with the possible
exception of Jason) that has given it a decent look over at this
point. I'm still seeking you're enlightenment on the pieces I didn't
understand: http://markmail.org/message/tibxv4f7di2caj2y, and am still
looking forward to your response.

> I lost entire day between yesterday and today, trying to understand
> why my unit tests suddenly stopped working. They traced to your
> commit r725533 which emptied jar files in mercury-ant-tasks! Unit
> tests were using those jars to compile test code.

I'm sorry you lost some time investigating it, but I made every
attempt to do this properly.

At the time I made the change, I cleaned out the checkout and did a
build without getting any test errors. This was confirmed by the grid: https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/view/Mercury/job/mercury-ant/6/

It appears your change to test using compilation was only checked in
afterwards. I'm afraid I'm still working on my ability to predict the
future :)

Certainly if it had been a functional change I'd have spent more time
in consultation as you suggested. The example you gave from Benjamin
is certainly a good way for things to work. We all need to tread
lightly in unfamiliar territory, and I understand that. I have no
desire to look like an idiot through inexperience if I can avoid it.

Anyway, thanks for fixing up the size of the test repo even in the
"reversion". I do appreciate it.

- Brett

Re: Decoupling from Compilation

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Test performance: 100s of millis added by the compiler do not add too
> much of a delay; the compilation unit is a 2-liner.

Yep, it's surely of minor concern for the Mercury tests themselves. But
just imagine a penalty of about 1 sec and scale this by 250 and you get
an idea what other test suites are spending their time on...

> Did I sound convincing?

You don't need to, I was merely making a suggestion, you're the
maintainer ;-).

Benjamin

Re: Decoupling from Compilation

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>
>> Unit tests were using those jars to compile test code.
>
> Just a technical question: Is it actually required/desirable to really
> compile code during the tests?
>
> Over in the Maven core ITs, running the Compiler (or Surefire) Plugin
> was the classical approach to test dependency resolution. IMHO, this
> approach adds
> a) unnecessary coupling with external components
> b) unnecessary complexity to the tests
> not to mention the performance penalty.
>
> To come back to Mercury, you are now about to chase down why the
> compiler isn't found (MERCURY-61). But as far as I understand the Ant
> tasks are concerned about dependency resolution, i.e. getting JARs,
> not compilation.
>
> So, wouldn't it be feasible to
> 1) Have the Ant tasks resolve the dependencies
> 2) Dump the resulting class path to a file (<echo>, custom test task)
> 3) Have the test controller (and not a compiler) verify the
> order/contents of the class path by reading that file
> ?
This will prove only so much. All my previous experience says that if
there is a small crack an error can squeeze through, it will :) This
task is supposed to provide a compiler with a classpath, if I start
interpreting the path - I might do it differently from the compiler and
allow an error.

So - if this is supposed to give compiler a classpath - let compiler be
the judge. I hear your "unnecessary complexity to the tests" argument,
but I think that long term it's s lesser price to pay, compared to a
possibility of an error, undetectable without a compiler.

Re: Decoupling from Compilation was: sometimes too much help is not helping - r725533

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Herve,

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Le mercredi 17 décembre 2008, Benjamin Bentmann a écrit :
>
>> Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>>
>>> Unit tests were using those jars to compile test code.
>>>
>> Just a technical question: Is it actually required/desirable to really
>> compile code during the tests?
>>
>> Over in the Maven core ITs, running the Compiler (or Surefire) Plugin
>> was the classical approach to test dependency resolution. IMHO, this
>> approach adds
>> a) unnecessary coupling with external components
>> b) unnecessary complexity to the tests
>> not to mention the performance penalty.
>>
>> To come back to Mercury, you are now about to chase down why the
>> compiler isn't found (MERCURY-61). But as far as I understand the Ant
>> tasks are concerned about dependency resolution, i.e. getting JARs, not
>> compilation.
>>
>> So, wouldn't it be feasible to
>> 1) Have the Ant tasks resolve the dependencies
>> 2) Dump the resulting class path to a file (<echo>, custom test task)
>> 3) Have the test controller (and not a compiler) verify the
>> order/contents of the class path by reading that file
>> ?
>>
> just for the record, I did such tests:
>
> 1. in Maven Ant Tasks: see sample.build.xml target "test-deps-order", which is
> based on <pathconvert> task
>
> 2. in MNG-1412 IT, with java code getResources( "META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" )

You suggestion duly noted :)

I think that testing entire workflow end to end at least once in UTs is
crucial. I don't abuse it - in all other unit tests I just resolve
artifacts and check for their presence in the local repository, which is
cleaned before every test. But doing full compile once is essential.

I am exploring the last problem - pgp read validation fails on Vista,
but works everywhere else, including WinXP.

Thanks,
Oleg

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.