Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Richard Emberson <re...@edgedynamics.com> on 2003/07/09 23:51:06 UTC

Minimum Domain.xml and SlideInit.xml

As far a I am concerned, what I would like is to define a
Slide repository once and then be able to restart the Slide
server without having to read in its characteristics.
But this is not now possible (even excluding the case
when one is using an in-memory store).
The Slide parameters are read from Domain.xml and stored in memory.
If certain parameters are changed between invocation of the Slide
server your whole system can be corrupted.
The namespaces, datastore definitions, datastore binding to paths,
and roles all suffer from this same requirement that they must
be re-read every time the Slide server starts.

If pigs had wings I would like to instantiate the Slide repository
as one operation (using for example a SlideInit.xml file)
and then have the Slide server connect to it as
a second operation where the amount of information needed to connect
is basically the datastore where the Slide Domain.xml 'metadata'
is located.

Currently when the IT folks back up the database datastore, none of
the Slide Domain.xml 'metadata' is backed up - and, no, one can not
ask them to change their ways - and if one is embedding slide
as part of a product, then you certainly can not ask IT to change their
ways.

What would be needed is a MetadataHelper class that could be associate
with a datastore and initialized via the datastore or the Configuration
object.

Richard