Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Robert Moore3 <Ro...@ibm.com> on 2022/06/24 15:25:52 UTC

Redirecting

Hello.

We are trying to get a redirect to occur when the user hits a certain resource (in this case, a perl script). Our previously-used authentication method for this and other resources is going away, and the new solution is to pass users through a new site which will take care of authentication before passing the user on to our resource.

The redirect directive seems simple enough - but no variations I have tried seem to function for our case. I am using the general form:

Redirect permanent /path/to/our/tool.cgi.pl https://new-site-elsewhere.net/path/tool.cgi

Related questions:
Is there a required placement of this directive?

  1.  Is it required to be within a <VirtualHost> block
  2.  Is it required to be within a <Location> block?
  3.  Is it required to be within a <Directory> blobk?
  4.  Given we are using ssl, is it required to be in ssl.conf?
  5.  Otherwise it should be in the httpd.conf instead?

Kind thanks for any assistance

Robert Moore
IBM Software Engineer
E-mail :Robert.Moore3@ibm.com<ma...@ibm.com>
Phone: 813-464-9774<tel:813-464-9774> (mobile)
ATTUID: RX229N