Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it> on 2006/11/13 09:20:34 UTC

escape_string in 1_0

I'm using a rivet module obtained by
compiling the 1_0 code from repository.
I looked in the code for the
(un)escape_string commands that are
available in the trunk and noticed
that their file (rivetWWW.c IIRC)
is included in the build process. These
commands seem to be unknown to
the interpreter anyway. Where did i
get it wrong?

-- Massimo Manghi

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
Quoting David Welton <da...@gmail.com>:

> > I don't know what happened. I also tried by wiping out the the whole
> > source tree and checking out from repository. I applied that simple patch
> > but ...nope.... sorry

it doesn't compile....but this is not related
to your patch, of course.

-- Massimo Manghi

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> I don't know what happened. I also tried by wiping out the the whole
> source tree and checking out from repository. I applied that simple patch
> but ...nope.... sorry

It doesn't work or it doesn't compile?

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> I can see more than two problems with the current setup - especially
> since the whole autoconf/automake is broken.
> Some time ago I proposed a different setup, also in order to port Rivet
> for Apache2 more effectively. My proposal is to split the distribution
> in 3 parts (or two parts): The Rivet/Tcl extension, the common TclWeb
> related things and the two modules for Apache1.x and Apache2.x.
> The question is, how appropriate it is to separate the Tclweb stuff (the
> files in src/ directly) from the modules... but I definitely think that
> the Rivet Tcl extension should evolve separately from the modules.
>
> That would make the maintenance much easier - for the Rivet Tcl
> extension, the standard TEA platform can be utilized, as available
> through anonymous CVS from
> http://tcl.cvs.sourceforge.net/tcl/sampleextension/
> For the modules, the apache/libtool stuff can be used, described e.g. in
> the tutorial here:
> http://threebit.net/tutorials/apache2_modules/tut1/tutorial1.html
>
> I think this makes it easier to ensure that the libs are correctly in
> place during install. It would require to start the configuration from
> scratch, and maybe to do a completely fresh svn import with the new
> setup. But then, it would at least be possible to continue the work on
> the Apache2.x port effectively and maintain the other things. So it's a
> single, relatively small step (since the current setup does not work
> anyway) with a big benefit.

If you're willing to have a stab at this, I'll make sure that it gets
into the HEAD.

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
I completely missed the fact auto*things* were broken
when applied to this project.  I'm perfectly conscious of
the very insidious nature of the autotools but Rivet at
first didn't look like a treacherous project to build.
Enough. I will continue the development with a module
that includes the whole bunch of the library sources
(rivetWWW.c, rivetCrypt.c...).

you have a vision for reorganizing Rivet in a more
manageable way and David has virtually accepted
to explore the proposal. Why don't you make a
more precise outline of which component/file/directory
should go in which package?

  -- Massimo

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Eckhard Lehmann <ec...@web.de>.
Massimo,

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
Thank you Eckhard,

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Eckhard Lehmann <ec...@web.de>.

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
David Welton wrote:
>> ok, I changed it by hand. 'svn diff' produces a patch quite similar
>> to the one you passed me. I compiled and restarted apache
>>
>> Cannot load /home/manghi/Projects/rivet/1_0/src/.libs/mod_rivet.so
>> into server:
>> /home/manghi/Projects/rivet/1_0/src/.libs/mod_rivet.so: undefined
>> symbol: Rivet_Init
>>
>> I'm not an expert of the autotools galaxy, but Makefile.am in src
>> is quite simple. The only thing I can say is that I don't see
>> a clear connection between mod_rivet.so and librivet.so expressed
>> in this file. Therefore I don't know if it's correct to expect the
>> 2 library to link up dynamically.  As someone wrote in src/Makefile.am,
>> autotools are 'weird and magic' and being a magician is not everybody's
>> art, so i can be missing totally the point.
>
> Hrm... bizarre.  I'll see if I can take a look at that some time this
> week.

Hi David, I'm getting out of a really busy time (lectures, kids flue etc)

I made Rivet work again by statically linking the libraries into the module.
This is obtained simply appending $(lib_libexec_LTLIBRARIES) to
mod_rivet_la_LIBADD in src/Makefile.am. No fancy autotools macros.
'configure' complains about the non portability of the method,
but at least I got the module into apache again with the commands I
wanted to have.

the question now is: where mod_rivet.so expects to find librivet.so and
librivetparser.so? /usr/lib didn't work and lib_libexecdir didn't
work either... the latter is evaluated as /usr/share/rivet0.7.0

any hint?

 -- Massimo

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
On 11/21/06, Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it> wrote:
> Quoting David Welton <da...@gmail.com>:
>
> > > I managed to recompile the module (I switched from
> > > from Debian 3.1 to 4.0). Well, no, it's not working.
> >
> > Seems odd to me... you're sure that's the module that's installed and running?
> >

> from apache/modules.conf
>
> #LoadModule rivet_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_rivet.so
> LoadModule rivet_module /home/manghi/Projects/rivet/1_0/src/.libs/mod_rivet.so
>
> I checked the effect of the patch and It's not clear to
> me whether the patch applied correctly (the module compiles anyway).
> Rivet_Init call was placed right after Rivet_Panic outside the
> scope of any function...was it meant to be so?

No... it should be in:

Rivet_PerInterpInit(server_rec *s, rivet_server_conf *rsc, pool *p)

I would put it after this if statement.

    if (Tcl_PkgRequire(interp, "RivetTcl", "1.1", 1) == NULL) {

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
Quoting David Welton <da...@gmail.com>:

> > I managed to recompile the module (I switched from
> > from Debian 3.1 to 4.0). Well, no, it's not working.
>
> Seems odd to me... you're sure that's the module that's installed and running?

from apache/modules.conf

#LoadModule rivet_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_rivet.so
LoadModule rivet_module /home/manghi/Projects/rivet/1_0/src/.libs/mod_rivet.so

I checked the effect of the patch and It's not clear to
me whether the patch applied correctly (the module compiles anyway).
Rivet_Init call was placed right after Rivet_Panic outside the
scope of any function...was it meant to be so?

Index: mod_rivet.c
--- mod_rivet.c (revision 476655)
+++ mod_rivet.c (working copy)
@@ -953,7 +953,9 @@
     abort();
 }

+    Rivet_Init(interp);

+
 /*
  *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  *

-- Massimo Manghi

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@biol.unipr.it>.
David Welton wrote:

> You could try adding this patch and see if it works:
>
> --- src/mod_rivet.c     (revision 449811)
> +++ src/mod_rivet.c     (working copy)
> @@ -885,6 +885,8 @@
>        exit(1);
>     }
>
> +    Rivet_Init(interp);
> +

frustrating and embarrassing but I'm not able to recompile anymore....

configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make
distclean" there first

this message was issued by 'make' (after ./configure had runned
successfully).
The  'source directory' seems to refer to src/, but it's not so.

# cd src/
# make disclean
... (messages that suggest configure has been run again)
make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop.

I don't know what happened. I also tried by wiping out the the whole
source tree and checking out from repository. I applied that simple patch
but ...nope.... sorry

--
-- Massimo Manghi

-- Dipartimento di Biologia Evolutiva e Funzionale
-- Università degli Studi di Parma
-- Parco Area delle Scienze 11A - 43100 Parma

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Re: escape_string in 1_0

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> I'm using a rivet module obtained by
> compiling the 1_0 code from repository.
> I looked in the code for the
> (un)escape_string commands that are
> available in the trunk and noticed
> that their file (rivetWWW.c IIRC)
> is included in the build process. These
> commands seem to be unknown to
> the interpreter anyway. Where did i
> get it wrong?

Offhand, I'd say that nothing is calling Rivet_Init (from rivetPkgInit.c).