Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Singer <ja...@singer-tc.de> on 2002/06/12 15:22:04 UTC

AJP13 through a firewall get stuck

Hi all,

we have problems with AJP13 through a firewall. Our configuration is as
follows:

Webserver: SUN Solaris 2.8 (SPARC), Apache 1.3.24 with mod_jk 1.2 (from
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-01-src.tar.gz), configured to use AJP13

Firewall: Checkpoint FW1

Tomcat: SUN Solaris 2.6 (SPARC), Java 1.3.1, Tomcat 3.2.1 (will be
upgraded to 3.2.3 shortly), 3.2.3 and 4.0.3 (three different projects)

Everything works fine until the firewall drops the open connections
between apache and tomcat. It does so if the connection is idle for one
hour, and we can't change this behaviour because it's not in our
responsibility. The firewall drops the connection without any notify, so
mod_jk does not close its pooled connections.

Now the first request to a servlet after this happens will be stuck.
This meens tomcat never receives the request, and apache does not
respond anything to the browser. A second request is working most of the
times (so the connections are reopened), but sometimes (allways with
tomcat 3.2.1) only a restart of apache helps.

Does anyone have this problem and maybe a solution to it?

If not, do you think it will be a usefull feature to have a timeout for
the connections in the way that mod_jk closes all open connection after
a configurable time? Or would it be better to implement a keep-alive
into the protocol?

Thanks,

Jan