Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Richard Berger <ri...@actiontech.com> on 2004/03/04 01:03:57 UTC

Pluto/Jboss/Windows...

Folks:

I looked around for instructions for installing Pluto on JBoss, but
didn't find any.  So here is what worked for me.  I am sure that there
are cleaner ways to do this - any pointers are appreciated.

Enjoy,
RB

Installing Pluto on JBoss 3.2.3 on Windows 2000
0. Basic instructions are at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/install.html, but others recommend
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-pluto/GETTING-STARTED.html.

1. Download Maven (http://maven.apache.org/).   I accepted all the
defaults.  One gotcha - the install did not add the MAVEN_HOME\bin
directory to my path, so I had to do that manually.

2. Get the Pluto source.  I installed the source to c:\jakarta-pluto.

3. Modify c:\jakarta-pluto\build.properties\build.properties settings
Starting with the c:\jakarta-pluto\build.properties.sample file, I set
  maven.tomcat.home=C:/jboss-3.2.3/server/default
and saved this as build.properties.

4. After adding MAVEN_HOME\bin to my path, I changed directory to the
root of the Pluto project (c:\jakarta-pluto) and ran:
  maven fullDeployment
Everything seemed to complete correctly - and it was actually quite
impressive as maven seemed to go to all the right places and get the
information it needed.

5. Then I started JBoss - and noticed many error messages - and of
course the URL http://localhost:8080/pluto/portal failed with an
internal 500 error (context not found IIRC)

6. Turns out there were two main problems:
a. Maven deployed pluto.war and testsuite.war as "exploded war files",
but it put them in jboss's default\webapps directory, not in
default/deploy.  However, when I simply copied everything under
default\webapps to default\deploy, things were still failing.  So, I
went with the .war approach instead, and simplied copied pluto.war from
c:\jakarta-pluto\portal\target to default\deploy and I copied
c:\jakarta-pluto\testsuite\target\testsuite.war to default\deploy.  But
then I ran into:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/pluto/PortletContainerException
 at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1590)
b. The problem was that Maven deployed pluto-1.0.jar and
portlet-api-1.0.jar to C:\jboss-3.2.3\server\default\shared\lib, rather
than C:\jboss-3.2.3\server\default\lib.  I moved these jar files to
C:\jboss-3.2.3\server\default\lib.

7. I then tried http://localhost:8080/pluto/portal/test - and it worked
and the test link on that page worked as well.

Note: I did not need to make the code changes pointed out in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.pluto.user/395, but I have
not yet deployed any portlets, so perhaps I will have to do that as
well.

Twenty Years | One Mission | Accelerating Business Processes

Richard Berger
Action Technologies, Inc.
VP, Product Management
510.748.1017 (Office)
510.769.0596 (Fax)
www.actiontech.com

NOTE: The opinions expressed herein are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Action Technologies, Inc. or its employees or its affiliates.