Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/12/12 19:21:33 UTC

Handling and Reporting CVEs (was RE: Proposal: ooo-announce list)

Well, the Apache practice is clear.

Putting a CVE number in a patch is probably not the way to execute on that practice, but that is not an Apache patch you are looking at.

Red Hat also has a very large list of CVEs that you can find in their issue tracker and elsewhere.  I am not clear when and how those show up and I don't know what it means when such an issue is shown as unresolved, either.

LibreOffice might want to take a page from the time-tested ASF Security procedures with regard to avoiding premature disclosure, etc.

Having said that, we are all learning on the job with regard to security issues surrounding the OpenOffice.org family.  As the product becomes a more-profitable target for culprits, I am certain that there will be more to learn.

 - Dennis

PS: It might be nice to have a single public place to discuss just these practices across the family without deflecting the reporting lists from their focused purpose with regard to receiving and assessing vulnerability and exploit reports.  Although I think one would be useful to have, there does not seem to be much interest on the part of the various security teams.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> I meant an inter-project list, not an intra-project list.

You said, "OpenOffice-ecosystem public discuss list"  That is
perfectly fine for ooo-dev.

Any other project that is serious about the "OpenOffice ecosystem"
will already have members subscribed to ooo-dev.  This is where the
project has its grand conversation.  This is where the work happens.
This is where consensus is reached.

-Rob

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.