Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/01/21 00:09:47 UTC

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 8.0.17 available

The Apache Tomcat team announces the immediate availability of Apache
Tomcat 8.0.17.

Apache Tomcat 8 is an open source software implementation of the Java
Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language and Java
WebSocket technologies.

Apache Tomcat 8.0.17 includes numerous fixes for issues identified
in 8.0.15 as well as a number of other enhancements and changes. The
notable changes since 8.0.15 include:

- Correct a regression in annotation scanning introduced in 8.0.15

- The RemoteAddrValve and RemoteHostValve can now optionally include
  the port when filtering along with a new option to trigger
  authentication rather than denying access

- Various edge cases fixes in WebSocket

Please refer to the change log for the complete list of changes:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/changelog.html

Downloads:
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi

Migration guides from Apache Tomcat 5.5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x:
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Enjoy!

- The Apache Tomcat team

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 8.0.17 available

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 21.01.2015 um 04:24 schrieb Leo Donahue:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The Apache Tomcat team announces the immediate availability of Apache
>> Tomcat 8.0.17.
>>
>> - The RemoteAddrValve and RemoteHostValve can now optionally include
>>    the port when filtering along with a new option to trigger
>>    authentication rather than denying access
>>

> There are no links on the changelog page for these and I was hoping to see
> some details about why this option was added.
> "Optionally trigger authentication instead of denial in RemoteAddrValve and
> RemoteHostValve"
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/valve.html#Remote_Address_Filter
> "The behavior when a request is refused can be changed to not deny but
> instead set an invalid authentication header"
>
> Example #3
> "To allow unrestricted access to port 8009, but trigger basic
> authentication if the application is accessed on another port:"
>
> I'm trying to understand this kind of setup.
>
> If an IP has been allowed to pass through via a Filter to a restricted
> resource, wouldn't the user get the container configured authentication
> dialog anyway?

The original use case was:

- the app does not have authentication configured
- the app is officially only available via an AJP connector
- for admin/testing purposes the app should be made available via an
additional http connector but only for authorized people. Normal people
must go via reverse proxy / AJP.

You can use the above for this kind of setup without "editing" the app
itself

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 8.0.17 available

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Leo,

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Leo,
>
> On 1/20/15 10:29 PM, Leo Donahue wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > And if they are Valves, why do the docs still use the word
> > "Filter"? Remote Address Filter?
>
> Both flavors exist: Valve and Filter.
>
> - -chris

Right... but..

Everything on this page is called a Filter.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/filter.html

Everything on this page is called a Valve, except for the two under Access
Control.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 8.0.17 available

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Donahue <do...@gmail.com>.