Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Eric <ep...@yahoo.com> on 2012/06/02 01:51:27 UTC

Bug Fix + Feature Request: cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh

1. If I understand the syntax correctly, I believe that the usage information emitted by cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh is wrong in a couple of ways...

> [eric@sn2 ~]$ sudo /usr/lib64/cloud/agent/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt
> Usage: cloud-install-sys-tmplt: -m <secondary storage mount point> \
>   -f <system vm template file> \
>   [-h <hypervisor name: kvm|vmware|xenserver> ]  \
>   [ -s <mgmt server secret key, if you specified any when running cloud-setup-database, default is password>]\
>   [-u <Url to system vm template>] \
>   [-F <clean up system templates of specified hypervisor>] \
>   [-e <Template suffix, e.g vhd, ova, qcow2>]
> or
> cloud-install-sys-tmplt: -m <secondary storage mount point> \
>   -u <http url for system vm template> \
>   [-h <hypervisor name: kvm|vmware|xenserver> ] \
>   [ -s <mgmt server secret key>]

 a. The usage information indicates that the hypervisor option+argument (i.e., "-h") is optional and, IIUC, that is incorrect.

 b. The first stanza of the usage information also indicates that the URL option+argument (i.e., "-u") is optional when using the the system vm template file flag (i.e., "-f") and, IIUC,this is also incorrect. The two are mutually exclusive.

 c. The second stanza is missing clean-up and suffix options+arguments (i.e., "-F" and "-e", respectively) and, IIUC, this is also incorrect.

2. I rather prefer NOT to install data files under the /usr/lib64 directory but this is where cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh places the system template archive before installing/registering a new system template VM. IMHO, these kinds of files should be placed elsewhere (e.g., /tmp) so I propose modifying the cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh script to allow the use of a temporary working directory specified with a new option, "-T".

I've made these fixes to the cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh script and added the temporary working directory feature to my local copy and have created a patch file from the deltas. How can I submit the changes for consideration?

TIA,
Eric Pretorious

Truckee, CA

RE: Bug Fix + Feature Request: cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
Eric, hopefully someone else will chime in on technical accuracy of your mail.  In terms of process for submitting patches please take a look at
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/dev/Git+workflow+in+the+brave+new+world.  If that doc isn't clear please say so.  It's a new doc and few have followed the steps in it.   Would appreciate constructive feedback...

-kevin

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Yes, "-h" is mandatory.

>  b. The first stanza of the usage information also indicates that the
> URL option+argument (i.e., "-u") is optional when using the the system
> vm template file flag (i.e., "-f") and, IIUC,this is also incorrect.
> The two are mutually exclusive.

Yes, they are mutually exclusive.

>  c. The second stanza is missing clean-up and suffix options+arguments
> (i.e., "-F" and "-e", respectively) and, IIUC, this is also incorrect.

Yes.

> 2. I rather prefer NOT to install data files under the /usr/lib64
> directory but this is where cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh places the
> system template archive before installing/registering a new system
> template VM. IMHO, these kinds of files should be placed elsewhere
> (e.g., /tmp) so I propose modifying the cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh
> script to allow the use of a temporary working directory specified with
> a new option, "-T".

That's great.

> I've made these fixes to the cloud-install-sys-tmplt.sh script and
> added the temporary working directory feature to my local copy and have
> created a patch file from the deltas. How can I submit the changes for
> consideration?

You can just post your patch(make sure the patch is generated from "git format-patch ") into this mailing list, or using "git am".