Posted to scm@geronimo.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/07/17 14:21:05 UTC

[Geronimo Wiki] Update of "Geronimo Management API" by SingLi

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Geronimo Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by SingLi:
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Geronimo_Management_API

The comment on the change is:
clarifying my understanding of proposal and starting discussion

  I think something like this would make it much easier to develop management tools such as the web console.  By using this API the tools would end up being specific to Geronimo, but that's OK for our purposes -- we're trying to make Geronimo more usable not write a console that can manage any J2EE server.  And if we're going to be reusing code across tools, I would much rather it be an API layer like this, not copying and pasting kernel invocations with string arguments and so on.

+ == Discussion ==
+
+ Please confirm that the API:
+
+  * is a set of EXTERNAL wrapper APIs for management ONLY when Geronimo assumes the "J2EE personality"
+  * provides programmer friendly semantics to access the guts of Geronimo, for management/monitoring/tuning(?) purposes ONLY  (enforced by available operations)
+  * a subset of this API provides portable JSR-77 access to Geronimo, for the benefits of other JSR-77 compliant tools
+
+ Suggestion... create this layer in a reusable(extensible?) manner, to enable the creation of other G-management APIs applicable when Geronimo assumes other "personalities" (J2EE subset, J2EE superset, no J2EE - purely embedded, etc)
+