Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Finley <TF...@novell.com> on 2007/04/18 01:21:44 UTC

Tomcat5 and Linux-HA

Is it possible to configure Tomcat5 in a Linux cluster (Linux-HA (Heartbeat 2).  I want to configure it on SLES10.  I have already checked the Tomcat FAQ at Tomcat.apache.org, the How to at that location, Googling it returns nothing on the subject.  If a config/setup doc exists I cannot find it.

Tim Finley
Novell IT Services
Novell Inc.
tfinley@novell.com
Phone #801-861-8106

Re: Tomcat5 and Linux-HA

Posted by Gaƫl Lams <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Is it possible to configure Tomcat5 in a Linux cluster (Linux-HA (Heartbeat 2).  I want to configure it on SLES10.  I have already checked the Tomcat FAQ at Tomcat.apache.org, the How to at that location, Googling it returns nothing on the subject.  If a config/setup doc exists I cannot find it.

I don't see why it would not be possible. I didn't yet had to
configure a cluster on SLES10 but in the past I configured a few
clusters on the (at that time called) SUSe professional:
- the services in cluster where apache, mysql, mailman, qmail, ....
and I really see no reason why tomcat would not work (it's "just" a
demon like the others)
- the cluster were "low costs", i.e implemented with Linux-HA and drdb
(to synchornise the partitions between the nodes)

I've to say that I never used Yast for this configuration (I've
nothing against Yast, I just don't "trust" it for that kind of
"complex" set-up): drdb and linux-ha were compiled from source

But the point is: did you try it? From what I remember, Linux-HA has a
good documentation and a good community behind it. Just start to
- implement Linux-HA, configuring for instance apache's httpd (you
will for sure find several how-to just by googling), just to
understand how it works
- then install tomcat and configure Linux-HA to manage this new resource

Try to implement it and if/when you have a problem, just ask.

Kind regards,

Gael

Re: Tomcat5 and Linux-HA

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/07, Tim Finley <TF...@novell.com> wrote:

> I need to know if its possible to setup Apache2/Tomcat5 in a 2 node,
> Linux (SUSE Linux Enterprise SERVER (SLES10)), running Linux-HA

No experience with Linux-HA, but I've set up Tomcat clustering on RHES
servers, using the standard Tomcat clustering --

> ... no Load Balancing (the company has no extra hardware and low
> on money), and no Session State Persistence (not sure if thats
> possible if Load Balancing isn't enabled)

If you're using Apache 2.2.x, you already have load balancing, gratis :-)

  <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html>

and the session persistence (replication) works fine.

FWIW,

Re: Tomcat5 and Linux-HA

Posted by Tim Finley <TF...@novell.com>.
Part 2 of the first URL is configured using Windows not Linux so that doesn't help.  The second URL is talking about a Intel Clustering solution which isn't related to using the Linux-HA (Open Source) method of clustering.

I need to know if its possible to setup Apache2/Tomcat5 in a 2 node, Linux (SUSE Linux Enterprise SERVER (SLES10)), running Linux-HA (http://www.linux-ha.org).  I already have Apache2 configured in the Cluster but cannot figure out the Tomcat5 piece.

Additional Information:  According to http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/31/clustering.html" this would be a Horizontally Scaled cluster, that needs Fault Tolerance, no Load Balancing (the company has no extra hardware and low on money), and no Session State Persistence (not sure if thats possible if Load Balancing isn't enabled)

Tim Finley
Novell IT Services
Novell Inc.
tfinley@novell.com
Phone #801-861-8106

>>> On 4/17/2007 at 5:36 PM, in message <BA...@phx.gbl>, "Martin Gainty" <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/31/clustering.html

If implementing on Intel processor I would read
http://www.developers.net/intelisnshowcase/view/390

Has anyone implemented SUSE clustering?

M--

Re: Tomcat5 and Linux-HA