Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/05 19:03:07 UTC

Re: Please review our project's draft Apache Incubator June board report

Thanks Matt for assembling the report. Two questions

1. "We have explored a corporate donation as suggested (ala Spark and
SystemML), but this does not seem possible at this time." I'm curious if
there are details about the size of the donation that's required (if this
is for the private list, I can start a thread there).

2. "*100% of release candidate source code has Apache 2 license headers*"
this is great, thanks to you and your team for a lot of this work, I've
noticed the tireless pull requests. Do you expect we will call for a vote
on a release candidate soon - are we ready?

-r

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

I have a small update on the below. Will add to the original thread.

Michael

On 06.06.18, 15:24, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:28 PM, Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    > ...We recently had a public (and private threads) around "models" for
    > donation at Apache which went no where...

    IIUC you mean donating resources for automated testing?

    The ASF now has a Targeted Sponsors [1] program meant specifically for that.

    If you think that's not useful, or if there are obstacles, I'm happy
    to help figure out how to fix that. Ideally here or on private lists
    if really required.

    -Bertrand

    [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

Re: Please review our project's draft Apache Incubator June board report

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
> address 2 things that MAY make public PGs easier 1) get all private PG
> tests into open (and never see another private PG reference anywhere) and
> parallelize these tests in Travis (as much as possible) 2) Author criteria

If PG test code can be moved to public github then it should be
possible to add another job in travis to run those test in parallel.
So far we have 3 jobs run in parallel

Chetan Mehrotra

Re: Please review our project's draft Apache Incubator June board report

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
Thx Rodric,

>> 1. "We have explored a corporate donation as suggested (ala Spark and
>> SystemML), but this does not seem possible at this time." I'm curious
if
>> there are details about the size of the donation that's required (if
this
>> is for the private list, I can start a thread there).

We recently had a public (and private threads) around "models" for
donation at Apache which went no where...  My personal forays in addition
that are mainly what I am reflecting upon in the above statements.  I
would feel better about talking about corporate donations (and the
history) on private to be honest.  It is my hope that we can work to
address 2 things that MAY make public PGs easier 1) get all private PG
tests into open (and never see another private PG reference anywhere) and
parallelize these tests in Travis (as much as possible) 2) Author criteria
/ steps for running a PG and referencing on a PR (as evidence of passage).
  These two general steps seem to be supported by my previous discussions
both within and outside IBM.

>> 2. "*100% of release candidate source code has Apache 2 license
headers*"
>> this is great, thanks to you and your team for a lot of this work, I've
>> noticed the tireless pull requests. Do you expect we will call for a
vote
>> on a release candidate soon - are we ready?

Almost.  First, massive kudos to Vincent for all his work in automating
and documenting process in our releae repo. For the record, I am reviewing
the draft letter which would be sent to the Incubator PMC today but am
waiting for PR https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3720 to
get reviewed/merged by someone other than myself.  Once merged, I plan to
begin the process (JIRA) and submit the letter.

Will provide latest details on interchange call tomorrow and hope to
answer any questions.

-mr

PS have been stealing rr's abbreviated-style signature lately...

From:   Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   06/05/2018 02:04 PM
Subject:        Re: Please review our project's draft Apache Incubator