Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Eric Vernichon <ry...@hotmail.com> on 2001/08/08 13:37:41 UTC

[C2] esql & postgres' nextval

I'm trying to do the following :
<esql:query>
INSERT INTO foo(id,url,email,username,password)
VALUES (<esql:parameter>NEXTVAL('id_seq')
</esql:parameter>,'abcd','a@my.com','dfgdf','123');
</esql:query>

Error generated by C2 :
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
ServerPagesGenerator.generate():java.lang.RuntimeException: Error executed
prepared statement: INSERT INTO foo(id,url,email,username,password) VALUES
(?,'abcd','a@my.com','dfgdf','123'); : java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: pg_atoi:
error in "NEXTVAL('id_seq')": can't parse "NEXTVAL('id_seq')"

id is my primary key and i would like to auto-increment it.

Any suggestion ?

Re: [C2] esql & postgres' nextval

Posted by Hubert NEOtyk Iwaniuk <hu...@office.ferienwelt.com.pl>.
HI

> I'm trying to do the following :
> <esql:query>
> INSERT INTO foo(id,url,email,username,password)
> VALUES (<esql:parameter>NEXTVAL('id_seq')
> </esql:parameter>,'abcd','a@my.com','dfgdf','123');
> </esql:query>

NEXTVAL is function stored in postgresql.
Consider doing it like this:
1. define table like:
    a) sequence
        CREATE SEQUENCE id_seq;
    b) table
    CREATE TABLE foo (
        id    INT PRIMARY KEY DEFAULT nextval('id_seq'),
        [...]
        other columns
        [...]
    );

2. Inserting data using DEFAULT
    <esql:query>
        INSERT INTO foo (url,email,username,password)
            VALUES ('abcd','a@my.com','dfgdf','123');</esql:query>

You get what you wanted, and no error should be generated.
I haven't, because of configuration problems - my server is down, but it
should work.

Hope it helps.

hubert.

---
Ausgehende Mail ist zertifiziert virenfrei.
Uberpruft durch AVG Antivirus System (http://www.grisoft.com/de).
Version: 6.0.265 / Virendatenbank: 137 - Erstellungsdatum: 2001-07-18

AW: [C2] esql & postgres' nextval

Posted by Max Larsson <ma...@gmservice.de>.
Hallo,

i think you just have to skip the enclosing tag
esql:parameters to get it work, eg. like this:

<esql:query>INSERT INTO foo(id,url,email,username,password)
VALUES ( NEXTVAL('id_seq'),'abcd','a@my.com','dfgdf','123');</esql:query>

Max