Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stuart Hargreaves <St...@eSCORE.com> on 2001/01/18 22:17:31 UTC

DOCTYPE problem

I've been playing around with conditional processing of xml/xslt based on
browser. Namely, I want to pass the stylesheet to IE and transform on the
server for everything else. I do this now by omitting the <?cocoon-process
type="xslt"?> for IE, but somehow, Cocoon is still inserting an HTML DOCTYPE
into the xml, which forces IE to impose its default stylesheet and barf out
any text nodes it finds.

So really two questions: the lesser is, how do I make Cocoon return the
correct DOCTYPE, the greater is, am I even going about this conditional
transformation thing the right way?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.   --Stuart

P.S. I know the stylesheet is working because when I bypass cocoon/tomcat
and request via Apache, the transformation happens just fine (sans DOCTYPE)

Configuration:
Win2K
Apache 1.3.14
Tomcat 3.2.1
Cocoon 1.8

____________________
Stuart G. Hargreaves
Architect
eSCORE!
510.817.3846

Re: DOCTYPE problem

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Stuart Hargreaves wrote:

> I've been playing around with conditional processing of xml/xslt based on
> browser. Namely, I want to pass the stylesheet to IE and transform on the
> server for everything else. I do this now by omitting the <?cocoon-process
> type="xslt"?> for IE, but somehow, Cocoon is still inserting an HTML DOCTYPE
> into the xml, which forces IE to impose its default stylesheet and barf out
> any text nodes it finds.
>
> So really two questions: the lesser is, how do I make Cocoon return the
> correct DOCTYPE, the greater is, am I even going about this conditional
> transformation thing the right way?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.   --Stuart

if you're sending text/xml to the client, you need to use the
<?cocoon-format type="text/xml"?> PI to tell cocoon to use the XML
serializer.

- donald