Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/28 16:14:55 UTC

[Gelly] Re-organize / cleanup examples and library

Hello squirrels,

adding Gelly examples has been a great way to let in new contributors and
we have had quite a big number of contributions!
However, I think it's about time we re-organize and clean them up a bit.

We currently have 13 examples.

- 5 examples simply use vertex-centric library methods, i.e. they are
almost identical and the only method they demonstrate is graph.run(new
LibraryAlgorithm()).

I think it's enough if we keep 1 of those. Another problem is that the
implementations of these methods are "hidden" inside the library methods. I
propose we turn 1 of the 5 examples into showing how to use vertex-centric
iterations.

- 3 examples show how to use the GSA iteration. We can also keep 1, e.g.
SSSP.
The other 2 can be moved to the library.

- I think the rest of the examples have a purpose and show how to use
different Gelly methods:

1. EuclideanGraphWeighing: use of triplets
2. GraphMetrics: use of metrics and statistics methods
3. IncrementalSSSP: use of message direction in iterations
4. JaccardSimilarity: use of neighborhood methods and joins
5. MusicProfiles: how to mix Gelly with the DataSet API

To sum up, I propose we keep the above 5 examples, plus 1 to show how to
use library methods, 1 for vertex-centric and 1 for GSA -> total 8 and move
the redundant GSA implementations to the library.

I believe we should also improve the examples documentation and refer to
the functionality that each of them demonstrates.

What do you think about this? If you agree, I will create a JIRA and do it!

Cheers,
Vasia.

Re: [Gelly] Re-organize / cleanup examples and library

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for your input!

+1 for the common
​ examples/​
staging
​-​
examples project.

@Andra: I believe it's important to have clean examples and library
methods. Gelly is supposed to be a *library* of graph algorithms, not a set
of examples. Right now we have more examples than library methods. Don't
you think re-organizing is important?

Regarding the tests, I will of course change them accordingly. Tests should
test the library methods, not the examples, don't you agree? I don't think
missing a main method poses any challenge here :)

Regarding documentation, I believe you're referring to Okapi? It'd be nice
to have something similar, I agree. But again, for the library methods, not
the examples :)

Any more concerns or
​shall
 I go ahead with this?