Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Rodal <ir...@bellatlantic.net> on 2002/07/27 01:23:27 UTC

Question about SMTP AUTH and mozilla and apple mail

We have a james server running on our system. We turned on SMTP AUTH

My friend can connect over the internet with his windows 98 machine with
MS outlook.
it work just fine. It takes his name and address everything works.

NOW When I try to connect with mozilla 1.0 or Apple mail on OSX

Or mozilla running under linux and none of them will do the auth, and
send the mail.
They all complain about needing auth, or in the case of mozilla, they
just keep
asking for the password.

I even tried outlook express under mac os 9.2. no such luck.

I looked in the james-user archive and couldn't find anything about this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is smtp auth different on different
platforms?

Help....

David Rodal
  (I sure hope I'm sending this the right place)

Re: Question about SMTP AUTH and mozilla and apple mail

Posted by David Rodal <ir...@bellatlantic.net>.
Peter Has directed me to a bug number that may be related

I am trying the fix right this second I let you know if it works in
about a half hour!

Posted by eric aboudaram <er...@aboudaram.net>.
i'm sorry i'm newbie
how to modify SMTPHandler.parseCommand()

i don't find
or wich version is correct
thanks

---
Ce message Envoi est certifié sans virus connu.
Protégé par l'antivirus AVG Deluxe.
Version: 6.0.380 / Base de données virus: 213 - Date: 24/07/2002

RE: Question about SMTP AUTH and mozilla and apple mail

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Excellent news!  :-)  Perhaps Peter can submit it a message to the JAMES
developer mailing list according to
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html.  Then a few of us can look it
over, vet it, and encourage the maintainers to commit it.

[Yes, I know that the patch is in the bugs database, but the messsage gives
us a place to hang the thread.]

	--- Noel

Posted by David Rodal <ir...@bellatlantic.net>.

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
David,

This is almost certainly a manifestation of a known problem.  Certain
mail clients present the challenge-string as part of their AUTH LOGIN
command (i.e. Netscape Messenger).  Others (like Microsoft Outlook on
Windows) do not.  James handles the latter clients correctly, but fails
to handle the first case.  See bug #6340 in the Apache Bug Database for
further details.

Anyway, that's my suspicion.

--Peter

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>