Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/09 03:03:00 UTC

[ALL] Parent pom - test.jar and test-sources.jar

Some while back, we discussed including binary (and source) jars for
the test code in releases.
[The test source code is already included in the source archive].

The intention was to make it easier to run binary compatibility tests
against new releases.

I think it would be worth adding this to the release profile.
The effect will be to create 2 more jars.

Ideally the test.jar should be included in the binary zip/tar files.
That will have to be done by each component as it will usually require
an edit to the assembly descriptor.
But in any case the jars would be available from the Maven repo if required.

OK?

Re: [ALL] Parent pom - test.jar and test-sources.jar

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
If you are making these kinds of changes I'd ask that you look at how it impacts vfs as that is a multi-module build and so has a bunch of customizations that may or may not need to change.

Ralph

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 March 2012 08:00, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 09/03/2012 03:03, sebb a écrit :
>> Some while back, we discussed including binary (and source) jars for
>> the test code in releases.
>> [The test source code is already included in the source archive].
>>
>> The intention was to make it easier to run binary compatibility tests
>> against new releases.
>
> Yes, I remember you raised important compatibility issues when we tried
> to release 2.1, so it saved us from doing big mistakes.
>

>> I think it would be worth adding this to the release profile.
>> The effect will be to create 2 more jars.
>
> +1
>

>> Ideally the test.jar should be included in the binary zip/tar files.
>
> -1. I think it should be separated. As our components are picked up as
> dependencies to higher level projects, they don't always know precisely
> how they are managed. So the jar may end up in there top level
> application just because they throw everything they find the binary
> distribution in.

OK, that simplifies matters.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1 as well

-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me. +1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 9, 2012, at 3:00, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 09/03/2012 03:03, sebb a écrit :
>> Some while back, we discussed including binary (and source) jars for
>> the test code in releases.
>> [The test source code is already included in the source archive].
>>
>> The intention was to make it easier to run binary compatibility tests
>> against new releases.
>
> Yes, I remember you raised important compatibility issues when we tried
> to release 2.1, so it saved us from doing big mistakes.
>

>> I think it would be worth adding this to the release profile.
>> The effect will be to create 2 more jars.
>
> +1
>

>> Ideally the test.jar should be included in the binary zip/tar files.
>
> -1. I think it should be separated. As our components are picked up as
> dependencies to higher level projects, they don't always know precisely
> how they are managed. So the jar may end up in there top level
> application just because they throw everything they find the binary
> distribution in.

That should no happen if you use maven/ivy.

Gary