Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/06/22 01:03:47 UTC

Do we need more moderators for ooo-dev?

I sent a note to ooo-dev, but accidentally from the wrong email
address, one not listed as an alias, though it was obviously from me.
Since then I've added that email address alias.  That was 4 hours ago.
 I made a similar error last week and it took around 8 hours for it to
be approved.

Considering the traffic level on this list, and the large number of
newbies, would it be worth having some additional moderators, so
delays like this can be reduced?

I'll volunteer to be a moderator myself.

-Rob

Re: Do we need more moderators for ooo-dev?

Posted by "luizheli@gmail.com" <lu...@gmail.com>.
If I can help, I'm available.

Rgds,

Luiz

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>> I sent a note to ooo-dev, but accidentally from the wrong email
>> address, one not listed as an alias, though it was obviously from me.
>> Since then I've added that email address alias.  That was 4 hours ago.
>>  I made a similar error last week and it took around 8 hours for it to
>> be approved.
>>
>> Considering the traffic level on this list, and the large number of
>> newbies, would it be worth having some additional moderators, so
>> delays like this can be reduced?
>>
>> I'll volunteer to be a moderator myself.
>
> I have no problem adding PPMC members as moderators of the dev list, so: done.
>
> I'd like to hear more discussion before opening this wider.

Are you looking for policy?

There was discussion in one of the many email threads about non-english language mailing lists. The point was made that for every mailing lists it is important for at least one PPMC/committer to moderate mailing lists for spam and abuse. These individuals step into the role of moderator. One of the duties of a moderator is to identify individuals who are committed to the project. To do so ensures that the community is growing and healthy.

Some of the community are requesting language mailing lists. For these it is important to have a reasonable number of developers (translators, qa,marketing, documentation) already active in the podling who can support that language.  There was also discussion the other way about language lists. The discussion here is the duties of a moderator.

It is not a small task. It is likely rather time consuming.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
> I sent a note to ooo-dev, but accidentally from the wrong email
> address, one not listed as an alias, though it was obviously from me.
> Since then I've added that email address alias.  That was 4 hours ago.
>  I made a similar error last week and it took around 8 hours for it to
> be approved.
>
> Considering the traffic level on this list, and the large number of
> newbies, would it be worth having some additional moderators, so
> delays like this can be reduced?
>
> I'll volunteer to be a moderator myself.

I have no problem adding PPMC members as moderators of the dev list, so: done.

I'd like to hear more discussion before opening this wider.

> -Rob

- Sam Ruby

Re: Do we need more moderators for ooo-dev?

Posted by Grzegorz Rajda <me...@gmail.com>.
On 22.06.2011 01:03, Rob Weir wrote:
> I sent a note to ooo-dev, but accidentally from the wrong email
> address, one not listed as an alias, though it was obviously from me.
> Since then I've added that email address alias.  That was 4 hours ago.
>   I made a similar error last week and it took around 8 hours for it to
> be approved.
>
> Considering the traffic level on this list, and the large number of
> newbies, would it be worth having some additional moderators, so
> delays like this can be reduced?
>
> I'll volunteer to be a moderator myself.
>
> -Rob
I'm new user of new OOo list. I send one message and waiting for
comments. But I think we need to replace peaople moderators with
automatic rigths algoritms.