Posted to announce@apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2017/09/16 22:06:57 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.17 released

The Apache POI project is pleased to announce the release of POI 3.17.
Featured are a handful of new areas of functionality, and numerous bug fixes.

See the downloads page for binary and source distributions:
https://poi.apache.org/download.html

Note: The Apache Software Foundation uses an extensive mirroring network for
distributing releases. It is possible that the mirror you are using may not
have replicated the release yet. If that is the case, please try another mirror.
This also goes for Maven access.

Release Notes

Changes
------------
The most notable changes in this release are:

- Various modules: add sanity checks and fix infinite loops / OOMs caused by fuzzed data
- OPC: fix linebreak handling on XML signature calculation (#61182)
- SS Common: fix number formatting (github-43/52, #60422)
- SXSSF: fix XML processing - unicode surrogates and line breaks (#61048, #61246)

POI 3.17 is the last release to support Java 6.
The next release will be 4.0.0 and supports min. Java 8.

A full list of changes is available in the change log: https://poi.apache.org/changes.html.

People interested should also follow the dev mailing list to track further progress.

Release Contents
----------------

This release comes in two forms:
 - pre-built binaries containing compiled versions of all Apache POI components and documentation
   (poi-bin-3.17-20170915.zip or poi-bin-3.17-20170915.tar.gz)
 - source archive you can build POI from
   (poi-src-3.17-20170915.zip or poi-src-3.17-20170915.tar.gz)

Unpack the archive and use the following command to build all POI components with
Apache Ant 1.8+ and JDK 1.6 or higher:

  ant jar

Pre-built versions of all POI components are also available in the central Maven repository
under Group ID "org.apache.poi" and Version "3.17"

All release artifacts are accompanied by MD5 checksums and PGP signatures
that you can use to verify the authenticity of your download.
The public key used for the PGP signature can be found at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/tags/REL_3_17_FINAL/KEYS

About Apache POI
-----------------------

Apache POI is well-known in the Java field as a library for reading and
writing Microsoft Office file formats, such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word,
Visio, Publisher and Outlook. It supports both the older (OLE2) and
new (OOXML - Office Open XML) formats.

See https://poi.apache.org/ for more details

On behalf of the Apache POI PMC,
Andi

RE: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache POI 3.17 released

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Thank you for the ping.  I'll respond now, and we can discuss from there.

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  After discussing with fellow devs, we'd prefer not to open a separate CVE for each item.  In looking at the items you helpfully gathered, we can categorize by type of problem and file formats affected.  I don't think we need to open a CVE for NPE or other parse exceptions (61286, 61287, 61059, pull53).  For the others, we could open a single CVE based on the poi-release (hey, these are now fixed in version 3.17) or we might open two -- one for permanent hangs, one for OOM?  My preference would be one CVE based on POI release.

A full description in that one CVE will allow users to determine if 3.17 would protect them based on file type -- your main goal, right?

To fellow Devs and David, how does this sound?

DETAILS:

This is my understanding, please let me know if I've missed any or misunderstood the impacts.

61338 permanent hang : WMF
61295 OOM :doc, ppt, xls
61294 permanent hang : macros, wmf, emf, msg
52372 OOM: doc, ppt, xls

61286, 61287, 61059, pull 53 -- not an OOM or permahang

Posted by "davidedillard@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.
+1, two CVE's.

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.