Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott Gibson <sg...@bancarddata.net> on 2011/05/25 07:16:41 UTC

multi-parent categories

Hello,

If I have a category like "Clutches" and it has parent categories of
"Ford", "Dodge", and "Chevy", is there some way I can specify that a
specific product only show under the Clutches category beneath "Dodge"
and *not* show up under the Clutches category beneath "Ford" and "Chevy"?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: multi-parent categories

Posted by Scott Gibson <sg...@bancarddata.net>.
Thanks Jacopo.

I don't think the idea of 3 different clutches categories is going to
work.  Because it gets much more complicated than just that.  For
instance, we might end up with a category hierarchy such as:

Ford -> 1969-1979 -> F150 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1969-1979 -> F250 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1969-1979 -> F350 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1980-1987 -> F150 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1980-1987 -> F250 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1980-1987 -> F350 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1988-1994 -> F150 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1988-1994 -> F250 -> Clutches
Ford -> 1988-1994 -> F350 -> Clutches

It seems that you suggest just a flat-level selection of categories and
making products members of more than one category.  Then you say I can
specify custom searches to include specific combinations like those
above.  What do you mean by that?  Am I creating search categories or is
this something that is configured within FTL files?

Thanks,
Scott

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the personal confidential use of the recipient(s) named above and is the property of Bancard Data Service, LLC.  It is legally privileged and/or confidential for the use of the addressee(s).  No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message and return any hard copy print-outs..

Re: multi-parent categories

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Scott,