Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by jaboy <ja...@flytxt.com> on 2016/03/01 07:50:42 UTC

Hbase data migration from version 0.94 to 0.98

Hi,Is this type of migration been successfully performed till now? we have 2
clusters , cluster 1 (with Apache Hadoop 1.0) in which we have data in Hbase
0.94, the other cluster 2 will have Apache Hadoop 2 (with Hbase 0.98). We
need to migrate data from cluster 1 to cluster 2.What should be the best
course of action? we have thought about making cluster 1 data to Hbase 0.98
compatible and then migrating the data to cluster 2.Thanks & Regardsjaboy

-----
Thanks & Regards
Jaboy

Re: Hbase data migration from version 0.94 to 0.98

Posted by jaboy <ja...@flytxt.com>.
missed one information. The total un-replicated Hbase data in our source
cluster is around 1.5TB.

-----

Posted by jaboy <ja...@flytxt.com>.
Hi All,

We dont have hbase replication setup till now. I would think that, we would
be doing distcp for the /hbase folder to the destination cluster, hence
would have to do this with a downtime. Not sure, what migration script i
need to run after i have all the data into hadoop 2 (Hbase 0.98) cluster. I
think, i need to make the new hbase recognize all of the migrated table
data. Hence need some help with that, Is their any command or script to do
the same?

-----

Posted by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for sharing this Rahul, this is quite useful approach for folks who
have replication already configured and can afford downtime during
migration.

Regards
Samir

Posted by rahul gidwani <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Samir,

Posted by Samir Ahmic <ah...@gmail.com>.
We have recently tested similar migration path source: hadoop1/hbase0.94
--> destination: hadoop2:/hbase0.98. Here is steps that we have performed :

1. stop source hbase cluster
2. use distcp to copy /hbase folder to destination cluster
3. run hbase migrate script on destination cluster (on destination cluster
we have just configured hbase cluster we never start it)
4. start hbase cluster on destination cluster

This approach worked for us. Hope it can help you.

Regards
Samir