Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Mark Kurley <ma...@activant.com> on 2006/02/02 22:54:29 UTC

Derby - sysinfo call hangs

Hi,

I have noticed that sometimes when I call the "sysinfo" script the
process hangs.  There are no entries in the log files.  I even when as
far as writing a shell script that calls the "sysinfo" in a loop.  It
fails on different iterations each time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I am not sure how to debug
this problem.  Please pass along any information.

Thanks
-mark

Notice: This transmission is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

Re: Derby - sysinfo call hangs

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
> I have noticed that sometimes when I call the "sysinfo" script the
> process hangs.

You didn't mention what platform you are running, but you should be
able to get a Java Stack Trace showing all the threads in the sysinfo
process, and what they are waiting on:

- On Windows, use Control-Break: Hold down the Control key and press
   the Break key.

- On Unix systems, send "kill -QUIT" to the process which is running
   sysinfo, from some other window on that machine.

Then, capture the output from the Java Stack Trace, and send it along.
That will provide more information about where in the sysinfo script
it is hanging.

thanks,

bryan

Re: Derby - sysinfo call hangs

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Mark Kurley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that sometimes when I call the "sysinfo" script the
> process hangs.  There are no entries in the log files.  I even when as
> far as writing a shell script that calls the "sysinfo" in a loop.  It
> fails on different iterations each time.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I am not sure how to debug
> this problem.  Please pass along any information.
>
> Thanks
> -mark
>

> *Notice:* This transmission is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or
> privileged.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this transmission
> and any attachments and notify the sender by return email immediately.
> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

I've see the NetworkServer sysinfo (the one in
%DERBY_INSTALL%\frameworks\NetworkServer\bin) take a long to return when
NetworkServer has not been started.  Always thought it had something to
do with the setting of network timeouts but don't know for sure.  Is
this the script you are using?  Not sure why the loop would fail on
different iterations but perhaps connections have been exhausted?
Of course if you are using the script in embedded then .. Never Mind

HTH