Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/13 14:01:18 UTC

Using Eclipse for Jackrabbit development (Was: Is JCR-1972 going to be included?)

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Paco Avila<mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've some problems developing with jackrabbit in Eclipse. Where can I find
> some info about this?

There are many ways to do this, but I'm pretty happy with the
m2eclipse plugin from http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/.

The plugin installs cleanly from the update site at
http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/update/, and after that I can use File >
Import... > Maven Projects and point the dialog to the root of my
checkout. The importer will correctly find and set up all the
components as separate projects in Eclipse.

It helps if you've done a normal Maven build before importing the
projects, as then all the generated sources will also be available to
Eclipse.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Using Eclipse for Jackrabbit development (Was: Is JCR-1972 going to be included?)

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Paco Avila<mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So using m2eclipse is the preferred way to deal with jackrabbit (subversion)
Just personal preference, both tools works WELL.

> and eclipse. If I use m2eclipse is necessary to run "mvn eclipse:eclipse" ?
No necessary to run this command any more. The plugin will generate
necessary configuration files.

> I'm not sure of this. Actually I'm not using the eclipse plugin so working
> in the old-fashioned way, but it is working fine (more or less)
I just start using m2eclipse recently for experiment, old-fashion
always a good backup options :)

--Guo

Re: Using Eclipse for Jackrabbit development (Was: Is JCR-1972 going to be included?)

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Paco Avila<mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So using m2eclipse is the preferred way to deal with jackrabbit (subversion)
> and eclipse. If I use m2eclipse is necessary to run "mvn eclipse:eclipse" ?

No. The "mvn eclipse:eclipse" way creates a normal Eclipse java
project from the pom(s) that you then can import (or refresh if you've
already imported it and need to update it). Eclipse will then not be
"aware" of the fact that the project is based on a meven pom. Eg. if
you want to add a dependency, you always have to do it in the pom,
adding it to the java project in Eclipse directly will only work
inside Eclipse (and get lost upon the next mvn eclipse:eclipse +
refresh) - this whole thing is only one way.

The m2eclipse plugin enhances Eclipse to be able to directly import
maven-based projects (so I think it adds a special project type to
Eclipse). This will then be very much aware of the pom and allows you
to modify the pom directly through various tools.

I personally prefer the mvn eclipse:eclipse way, as I was always
disappointed by the complexity / issues of m2eclipse or similar
(older) plugins for Eclipse. But maybe I have to look at it again ;-)

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

Re: Using Eclipse for Jackrabbit development (Was: Is JCR-1972 going to be included?)

Posted by Paco Avila <mo...@gmail.com>.

--
Paco Avila
GIT Consultors

Re: Using Eclipse for Jackrabbit development (Was: Is JCR-1972 going to be included?)

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Dürig <mi...@day.com>.