Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by John Kolvereid <ak...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/24 17:57:05 UTC

the Guide

     I recently downloaded the mod_perl Guide and
tried to install it.  Problem is that it would not
install properly because the file:
         pod2hpp
was missing.  After trying other versions I kept
getting the same error.  Then I checked google.com.  I
am not the only one w/ this problem.
     I conclude that the guide is built from the PODs
(Plain Old Documents). pod2hpp is thus needed to
convert the pods to html. The online guide is no doubt
created the same way.
     Wouldn't it thus be simpler and more convenient
for 1st times like myself if the guide download were
simply the already created html pages which appear
online.  Naturally they would be compressed.  Then one
would only have to uncompress them instead of building
them.
     It's hard enough to install mod_perl itself.  Why
add an extra burden for the manual also.

     Thanks.

           John Kolvereid

Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
http://movies.yahoo.com/

Re: the Guide

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
>      Wouldn't it thus be simpler and more convenient
> for 1st times like myself if the guide download were
> simply the already created html pages which appear
> online.

Frankly, hardly anyone does that.  Most people refer to the guide
on-line.  I've used mod_perl for years, referred to the guide
frequently, and never downloaded it.  If you have to work over a slow
link I can understand why you might want a local copy, but a quick wget
command can mirror it all for you pretty easilly.

People usually only download the CPAN package if they're planning to do
some hacking on it.  Mentioning the module dependency in the text next
to the download link is probably a good idea, and offering a .tgz of all
the generated HTML files as well as the PDF, but I think you may be the
first to request such a thing.

>      It's hard enough to install mod_perl itself.  Why
> add an extra burden for the manual also.

There is plenty of documentation on building and working with mod_perl
included in the standard mod_perl package.  The guide is in addition to
that documentation.

- Perrin