Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/11 09:34:17 UTC

findbugs annotations

Dear all

I am not sure where we stopped our discussions along removing
the¨dependency to

<dependency>
            <groupId>com.google.code.findbugs</groupId>
            <artifactId>jsr305</artifactId>
        </dependency>

Currently its only used at one single location and IMO I do not want have
any dependency on a tool in the code. So I would remove it, if nobody
complains...

Best
Anatole

--
*Anatole Tresch*
Java Engineer & Architect, JSR Spec Lead

*Switzerland, Europe Zurich, GMT+1*
*Twitter:  @atsticks*
*Blogs: **http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/
<http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/>*

*Google: atsticksMobile  +41-76 344 62 79*

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if we do an "exclusive" or "inclusive" vote now, but for
substantial components like API or core I certainly say
+1 to avoid these dependencies (or -1 on using them;-)

Depending on particular modules or extensions, there could be a bit of
freedom, let's say a "reporting" or "analytics" module may use additional
artifacts like Asciidoc(tor) or similar while other modules don't require
it. If there's just a single user or class that requires it, I'd say that
never justifies the extra baggage. Should there be a wide-spread use by
some specific module, then maybe, but it should be applied with care.

Werner

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Those +1 or -1 were already a sign of voting here I'd say, but ideally more
people than us 3 or 4 should cast their opinion (also to make it binding, a
minimum number of 3 PMC members is required to make such vote binding;-)

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
The Apache Parent POM doesn't even offer the FindBugs plugin btw, so if it
was really so vital or widely used, such parent POMs would also contain it.
Nobody (except maybe Guava) uses it, not even JBoss. You'll find the Maven
plugin in its Parent POM but no sign of those annotations.

Werner

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Oliver B. Fischer <o.b.fischer@swe-blog.net

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Reinhard Sandtner <re...@gmail.com>.
hey,

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
> On Wednesday, 11 February 2015, 14:47, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1 to not use them at all

+1

LieGrue,
strub

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Again?

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Yep...

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Let s vote no?

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
You have to see, JSR 308 (Type Annotations) is so far a blunt failure and
nobody uses them or tries to bring life back to 305 (where the same EG
members were involved that tinkered on 308) Even Oracle's own core Java
architects (I asked Brian Goetz at least once or twice about it in recent
years) said they have no plan to add default annotations to Java and given
the Modularity focus of Java 9 it doesn't seem like any of that comes to
Java 9 either. Nor does NetBeans support it, and Java 8 added a totally
different concept with Optional to help avoid nullness.
Except Guava I am not aware of any common project or framework that uses
it, so unless Java adds more support by reviving 305 or a new JSR for this,
it's dead and not worth carrying around.

Werner

Re: findbugs annotations

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Re: findbugs annotations