Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Naga Viswanathan Malepati <na...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/07/31 23:28:47 UTC

Is there any difference between jclouds swift client and phython swiftclient?

Hi,

We have been doing some performance testing on our jclouds client code and we noticed that the throughput is much lower than python client. To validate here is the experiment we ran using a simple implementation using jclouds & swift-bench (python based bench marking tool)

We can 60000 puts with 100 concurrent users (threads). What we noticed was swift-bench had a throughput of about 380 puts/s where as the jclouds based client had a max of 100 puts/s. First, has anybody compared the two before and seen similar behavior?

Secondly, we were wondering if there are any tuning params for jclouds swiftclient that we can tweak and play with.

Thanks in advance.

-Naga

Re: Is there any difference between jclouds swift client and phython swiftclient?

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Naga,

First quick sanity check: is jclouds wire logging etc all turned off?

Can you share your jclouds test class?
Is your test just doing puts or also gets - on the same blob or
different blob names? Or are you also deleting the blob (as recommended
in [1])?
What size is each blob?

Do you know what was maxing out in jclouds? Was your CPU at 100%?

I hacked together a quick test but am currently network-bound so
couldn't get above about 45 per second.

Aled

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
If you have wire level logging enabled, you would be able to see what was sent over the wire by jclouds. Then these logs can probably be compared with the python logs.
Then we can probably start narrowing down on what exactly is causing the discrepancy.
It would also help if you can share any of the code used for testing.
Some connection tuning parameters are available, but they usually focus on timeouts and exponential backoff (which might be causing what you see).
You can see how some of these properties are used in this test:
https://github.com/rackerlabs/jclouds-labs-openstack/blob/master/openstack-swift/src/test/java/org/jclouds/openstack/swift/v1/features/ObjectApiMockTest.java#L310

Thanks!