Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Robertson, Jason" <Ja...@acs-inc.com> on 2003/02/13 17:08:22 UTC

illegal char value

I've switched from the Sun 1.3.1_05 JVM to the IBM 1.3.1 build
cn131-20020403 JVM for various reasons. My PDF generation via FOP that work
perfectly with the Sun JVM is failing with the IBM JVM. When it's running, I
get many "illegal char value XX" error statements (from the ASCII85Filter
class) and the PDF is corrupt.

Under FOP 0.20.4 I got many, many of these error statements with various
char values in place of the XX. Under FOP 0.20.5rc I only get a handful, and
they are all for value 32. In both cases the PDF is corrupt.

The problem is in the stream creation for embedded fonts and (I'm pretty
sure) embedded images. The stream size in the IBM output is half the size
that in the Sun output, and the data is very different.

Any ideas that could be causing this or various ideas on places I should
explore?

Jason

Re: illegal char value

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Robertson, Jason wrote:
> I've switched from the Sun 1.3.1_05 JVM to the IBM 1.3.1 build
> cn131-20020403 JVM for various reasons. My PDF generation via FOP that work
> perfectly with the Sun JVM is failing with the IBM JVM. When it's running, I
> get many "illegal char value XX" error statements (from the ASCII85Filter
> class) and the PDF is corrupt.

It's a well known bug in the IBM JVM. There should be an upgrade,
ask your customer support.

> Under FOP 0.20.4 I got many, many of these error statements with various
> char values in place of the XX. Under FOP 0.20.5rc I only get a handful, and
> they are all for value 32.

Hm, I thought the code change avoided the bug completely. I'll
look into this later.

J.Pietschmann