Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/10 19:51:04 UTC

Continuous crawling

I've done some searching on this, but haven't found any real solutions.  Is
there an existing way to do a continuous crawl using Nutch?  I know I can
use the bin/nutch crawl command, but that stops after a certain number of
iterations.

Right now I'm working on a java class to do it, but I would assume it's a
problem that's been solved already.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find any
evidence of this.

Thanks.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Nutch already uses it in the Fetcher. It outputs stuff like below in the
Hadoop GUI and after each job has finished on stdout.

exception 	30,154 	0 	30,154
access_denied 	380 	0 	380
gone 	3,159 	0 	3,159
moved 	18,601 	0 	18,601
robots_denied 	7,889 	0 	7,889
robots_denied_maxcrawldelay 	167 	0 	167
hitByThrougputThreshold 	5 	0 	5
bytes_downloaded 	24,012,066,657 	0 	24,012,066,657
hitByTimeLimit 	3,020 	0 	3,020
notmodified 	30,223 	0 	30,223
temp_moved 	21,653 	0 	21,653
success 	433,955 	0 	433,955
notfound 	23,384 	0 	23,384

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.
Fixed it.  Turns out I'd copied the conf files to the wrong directory.

However, I'm having trouble running my java code.  Previously I put my jar
into the runtime/local/lib directory and then called bin/nutch myClass.  I
put my jar in the hadoop/lob directory, but I'm still getting a
ClassNotFoundException.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
you can search the web for "Nutch Continuous crawling"

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by 庄名洲 <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by 庄名洲 <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.

--
*

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
The most basic shell script would be putting the commands of the tutorial in
order and have a cron job execute that script once every interval. In case of
large crawls you need to add some locking mechanism to avoid overlap.

http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial

On Monday 14 November 2011 01:55:15 xander wrote:
> Hi,
> I wan to write a shell scirpt which will crawl data and update the database
> for me every 2 hours . Can you help me write a shell script for it. I am
> new to this and would appreciate any sort of help. You can divert me to a
> useful link too.
>
> thanks

Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17
050-8536620 / 06-50258350

Re: Continuous crawling

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
> Interesting.  How do you tell if the segments have been fetched, etc?

after a job the shell script waits for its completion and return code. If it
returns 0 all is fine and we move it to another queue. If != 0 then there's an
error and reports via mail.

> How
> do you know if there are any urls that had problems?

Hadoop reporter shows statistics. There are always many errors for many
reasons. This is normal because we crawl everything.

> Or fetch jobs that
> errored out, etc.

The non-zero return code.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com>.
Interesting.  How do you tell if the segments have been fetched, etc?  How
do you know if there are any urls that had problems?  Or fetch jobs that
errored out, etc.

Re: Continuous crawling

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.