Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fletcher Cocquyt <fc...@stanford.edu> on 2009/06/25 07:23:37 UTC

mod_jk MAX WORKERS

Hi, we have noticed when we get close to 150 workers/2000bytes defined in our
worker.list - mod_jk 1.2.20 starts to break ("could not find worker for worker
name=xyz")

Looking at the code - cause the release notes /changelog don't seem to mention
this - looks like 1.2.28 has a new formula for defining JK_SHM_DEF_SIZE - need
more digging to get an absolute on this:

1.2.20:

../../tomcat-connectors-1.2.20-src/native/common/jk_shm.h:#define
JK_SHM_WORKER_SIZE  JK_SHM_ALIGN(sizeof(jk_shm_worker_t))
../../tomcat-connectors-1.2.20-src/native/common/jk_shm.h:#define
JK_SHM_DEF_SIZE     (JK_SHM_MAX_WORKERS * JK_SHM_WORKER_SIZE)

1.2.28

./common/jk_shm.h:#define JK_SHM_MAX_WORKERS        64
./common/jk_shm.h:#define JK_SHM_DEF_SIZE
JK_SHM_AJP_SIZE(JK_SHM_MAX_WORKERS) + JK_SHM_LB_SUB_SIZE(JK_SHM_MAX_WORKERS) +
JK_SHM_LB_SIZE(JK_SHM_MAX_WORKERS)

Anyone know what the limits are on 1.2.28 in terms of workers?

thanks!

Re: mod_jk MAX WORKERS

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 25.06.2009 08:46, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Fletcher Cocquyt wrote:
>> Hi, we have noticed when we get close to 150 workers/2000bytes defined
>> in our
>> worker.list - mod_jk 1.2.20 starts to break ("could not find worker
>> for worker
>> name=xyz")
>>
>> Anyone know what the limits are on 1.2.28 in terms of workers?
>>

> Unlimited if you use JkShmSize
> See http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html
>
> The size itself should be double the actual size if you
> are going to use the graceful restart (previous generation
> shared memory must be kept until all childs are done)

Actually 1.2.28 got rid of JkShmSize and does the calculation of the
needed size automatically :)

So starting with 1.2.28 there should be no upper limit of the number of
workers. Things might get gradually slower, if you add a huge number of
mounting rules (JkMount or uriworkermap.properties).

Regards,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk MAX WORKERS

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Fletcher Cocquyt wrote:
> Hi, we have noticed when we get close to 150 workers/2000bytes defined in our
> worker.list - mod_jk 1.2.20 starts to break ("could not find worker for worker
> name=xyz")
>
> Anyone know what the limits are on 1.2.28 in terms of workers?

Unlimited if you use JkShmSize
See http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/apache.html

The size itself should be double the actual size if you
are going to use the graceful restart (previous generation
shared memory must be kept until all childs are done)

Regards
--
^(TM)