Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/13 23:16:59 UTC

RfC: The Apache XML-RPC streaming branch

Hi,

here's now my proposal for Apache XML-RPC 3, called the streaming
branch. It is an almost complete rewrite and not source compatible.
(Almost definitely the most important aspect to discuss.)

This announcement is a request for comments, flames (hopefully not
too much or too heavy :-), and any other type of discussions.

The new features are:

- Build system based on Maven 2
- Uses a standard JAXP 1.1 compliant SAX 2 parser (typically the one,
   that comes with your JRE).
- Assumes Java 1.2. In other words, it supports collections.
- Several so-called vendor extensions. Vendor extensions are clearly
   separated from the default mode, which is still compliant to the
   XML-RPC specification. For example, to enable request compression,
   you have to enable the properties "enabledForExtensions" (activate
   vendor extensions in general) and "gzipCompressing".

Available vendor extensions include:

- Streaming mode (doesn't set the content-length header); the
   streaming mode has an extremely low memory profile. This includes
   a streaming base64 encoder.
- Request and response compression (this features have always been
   available in version2, but haven't been clearly expressed as
   vendor extensions).
- Additional data types: Null, long, float, byte, short, DOM
   fragments, java.io.Serializable, JAXB objects

The streaming branches web site is available from

     http://people.apache.org/~jochen/xmlrpc/site

The maven 2 compliant distribution directory is

     http://people.apache.org/~jochen/xmlrpc/dist

Regards,

Jochen

Re: RfC: The Apache XML-RPC streaming branch

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
On Nov 13, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> here's now my proposal for Apache XML-RPC 3, called the streaming
> branch. It is an almost complete rewrite and not source compatible.
> (Almost definitely the most important aspect to discuss.)

Hey, I won't actually have time to try this out for quite a while,
but in principle, it sounds wonderful. Screw source compatibility. My
complaints with the old code were:

- It didn't use a standard SAX parser
- It didn't use collections
- It didn't support streaming

and you've fixed those, so I'll happily rework all my XMLRPC-calling
code.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

RE: The Apache XML-RPC streaming branch

Posted by Duke Tantiprasut <dt...@micromuse.com>.
I would like to see security/ssl integrated as much as possible. Information
and working examples on getting XMLRPC/SSL working is very sparse. The
gzipCompression would be very welcomed as well.

Duke

  _____