Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/06/08 18:29:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-163: Lower the Minimum Required ACL Permission of OffsetFetch

Hi all,

I'm resending my earlier note hoping it would spark some conversation this
time around :)

Thanks.
--Vahid

From:   "Vahid S Hashemian" <va...@us.ibm.com>
To:     dev <de...@kafka.apache.org>, "Kafka User" <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Date:   05/30/2017 08:33 AM
Subject:        KIP-163: Lower the Minimum Required ACL Permission of
OffsetFetch

Hi,

I started a new KIP to improve the minimum required ACL permissions of
some of the APIs:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-163%3A+Lower+the+Minimum+Required+ACL+Permission+of+OffsetFetch

The KIP is to address KAFKA-4585.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks.
--Vahid

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-163: Lower the Minimum Required ACL Permission of OffsetFetch

Posted by Viktor Somogyi <vi...@cloudera.com>.
Got it, thanks Hans!

Posted by Michal Borowiecki <mi...@openbet.com>.
+1

On 19/06/17 21:31, Vahid S Hashemian wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes technically it is a write to the Kafka consumer offset topic but
> it's
>> much easier for
>> administers to think of ACLs in terms of whether the user is allowed to
>> write (Produce) or
>> read (Consume) messages and not the lower level semantics that are that
>> consuming is actually
>> reading AND writing (albeit only to the offset topic).
>>
>> -hans
>>

>>> On Jun 17, 2017, at 10:59 AM, Viktor Somogyi
> <vi...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Vahid,
>>>
>>> +1 for OffsetFetch from me too.
>>>
>>> I also wanted to ask the strangeness of the permissions, like why is
>>> OffsetCommit a Read operation instead of Write which would intuitively
> make
>>> more sense to me. Perhaps any expert could shed some light on this? :)

Signature
<http://www.openbet.com/> 	Michal Borowiecki
Senior Software Engineer L4
	T: 	+44 208 742 1600

	+44 203 249 8448

	E: 	michal.borowiecki@openbet.com
	W: 	www.openbet.com <http://www.openbet.com/>

	OpenBet Ltd

	Chiswick Park Building 9

	566 Chiswick High Rd

	London

	W4 5XT

	UK

<https://www.openbet.com/email_promo>

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you
have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
postmaster@openbet.com <ma...@openbet.com> and delete it
from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well
as traffic data may be monitored by OpenBet for employment and security
purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail

Posted by Michal Borowiecki <mi...@openbet.com>.
+1

From:   Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/19/2017 11:01 AM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-163: Lower the Minimum Required ACL

From:   Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/19/2017 11:01 AM

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Viktor Somogyi <vi...@cloudera.com>.
Got it, thanks Hans!

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Viktor Somogyi <vi...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Vahid,

Posted by Viktor Somogyi <vi...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Vahid,

From:   "Vahid S Hashemian" <va...@us.ibm.com>
To:     dev <de...@kafka.apache.org>, "Kafka User"

<us...@kafka.apache.org>

Date:   05/30/2017 08:33 AM
[...]

postmaster@openbet.com and delete it from your system as well as any
copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by
OpenBet for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment

From:   "Vahid S Hashemian" <va...@us.ibm.com>
To:     dev <de...@kafka.apache.org>, "Kafka User"

<us...@kafka.apache.org>

Posted by Michal Borowiecki <mi...@openbet.com>.