Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/20 13:11:54 UTC

RE: REST GridCacheCommandHandler writes ERROR in log in case of baduser input

+1.

ERROR and even WARNING messages are often treated as incidents in the production systems.
Ignite produces a lot of these messages though.

I’d suggest the following as a rule of thumb:
- ERROR – we’re sure there is an issue with a node/cluster that needs attention; cluster stability and/or data integrity are in danger
- WARNING – we’re not sure, but something might be wrong – cluster stability and/or data integrity could be in danger; we can’t verify if that’s an error or not, so user attention is needed
- INFO – anything that we’d like to have in the logs which doesn’t indicate an unrecoverable problem (or possibility of it)
- DEBUG – anything that we’d like to have in the logs but which would produce too much logging; can be enabled on testing environments for selected packages though
- TRACE – anything that we’d like to have for deep debugging which probably wouldn’t help anyone but Ignite developers; can produce enormous amount of logs

WDYT?

Stan

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
More food for thought - here are JCL guidelines that look close to what I’ve suggested:
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/guide.html#JCL_Best_Practices

Big thanks to Oleg Ignatenko for the pointer.

Thanks,
Stan

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

I have found one more relevant case:

[17:03:16,141][SEVERE][jdbc-request-handler-worker-#78][JdbcRequestHandler]
Failed to execute SQL query [reqId=0, req=JdbcQueryExecuteRequest
[schemaName=PUBLIC, pageSize=1024, maxRows=0, sqlQry=merge INTO
city2(id,name,name1) VALUES(2,'1','1'),(1,'1','1'), args=[],
stmtType=UPDATE_STMT_TYPE, autoCommit=true]]
class org.apache.ignite.internal.processors.query.IgniteSQLException:
Cannot serialize transaction due to write conflict (transaction is marked
for rollback)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.processors.cache.GridCacheMapEntry.serializationError(GridCacheMapEntry.java:6759)
        at
org.apache.ignite.internal.processors.cache.GridCacheMapEntry.mvccSet(GridCacheMapEntry.java:1117)

MVCC update conflicts are entirely normal, and will never be a case of
concern of DevOps since they are recoverable (just retry the statement or
batch).

There's no reason for such SEVERE log level. This one should only merit an
INFO.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
I agree that the status quo is that all info is at least visible in the Ignite server logs,
so I’d avoid making current ERROR/WARN messages DEBUG for now.

INFO is safe though – we’ll be able to debug things same as now, but monitoring
systems won’t complain about our unnecessarily red log.

Stan

We often rely on server nodes' logs since there is always possibility that
client will swallow our error, especially when we discover internal errors.

We could try and isolate cases when we are sure that there is error on user
side, change log level for such errors.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!