Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maher Qais <m....@gmx.de> on 2011/08/01 03:13:04 UTC

Re: FOP-ComplexScript (connectivity, direction and fonts of Arabic)

Hallo Adams,

Thanks for the feedback. I have inbetween repeat the test and found
that the most troubles were occured because of using the font metrics
files and referencing the same fonts in a specified directory at the
same time.

Now i can use the supported fonts, the Base-14 Fonts and the  Arabeyes
Fonts without need to use “Free Ressam”.
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731.fo]
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731.pdf]

Only the Base-14 Fonts seem not to support the vowel signs.
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731_vowel-sings.fo]
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731_vowel-sings.pdf]

Another problem I've found (only applies to Scheherazade and Lateef):
When I open the created PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Reader, copy the
text to the clipboard and then insert it, for example, into a Word
document, I do not get the original text.
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731_reimport-text.fo]
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731_reimport-text.pdf]
[FOP-ComplexScript_Test-20110731_reimport-text-result.pdf]

I use the fop-ComplexScripts-20110615. My OS is a Microsoft Windows
XP Home Edition, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3, Build 2600 (DE).

Regards,
Maher Qais

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Re: FOP-ComplexScript (connectivity, direction and fonts of
Arabic)
Datum: 	Fri, 29 Jul 2011 04:11:26 GMT
Von: 	Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>

Hello Qais,

Thanks for taking some time to test out the complex script features being
developed for FOP.

To help address these issues, could you:

(1) provide input FO test files showing the specific problems you have
found? it is best if each test file contains the minimum needed to
demonstrate the problem;

(2) indicate which complex script build you are using? fyi, the latest work
is available at http://github.com/skynavga/fop;

Regarding connectivity, shape selection, kerning, point placement, etc.,
keep in mind that FOP doesn't do anything special other than implement the
substitutions and positioning operations defined in the OpenType GSUB/GPOS
tables. I'm not certain if the Arabeyes or other fonts you have tried
support these tables. If they do, then there may be a bug in the new TTF/OTF
parsing of this table data.

In any case, if you provide some additional input as requested above, I'm
sure we can resolve this matter soon. Also, if you haven't already seen it,
please take a look at the documentation and active tickets found at
http://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop.

Regards,
Glenn Adams

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Thanks for the further update. In general, you should not be using font
metric files with FOP 1.0 or later.

Regarding Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier New fonts, I have not
explicitly tested these for Arabic support, but I will look into it. Keep in
mind that the Complex Script support requires OpenType fonts to support
GDEF, GSUB, and GPOS to perform contextual substitution and mark (e.g.,
vowel sign) placement. So if the fonts you used do not have these tables,
then FOP CS will not produce the desired results.

The fonts for which I have tested FOP CS are listed at
http://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop/wiki/SupportedFonts.

Regarding the problem you report with Scheherazade and Lateef, I'm aware of
this, and a ticket is already filed for it at
http://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop/ticket/38.

Regards,
Glenn