Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2012/01/02 21:46:59 UTC

[BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches

Hi there,

now the buildboot's builds are configured with the following switches:

--with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
--with-system-python
--enable-verbose
--with-package-format=deb
--with-build-version=2012-01-02

IMO those switches have the following drawbacks:

* system python should not be used. A universal Linux build should have
  internal python instead

* package format should also include RPM packages

* builds should include category B

* the build boot should also build the extensions (AFAIK only the
  Presenter Console, the Presentation Minimizer and the Wiki Publisher
  are buildable after the ip clearance)

So I'd propose to use the following switches:

./configure   \
--with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S (%a, %d %b %Y)") - Rev. $(echo $(svn info) | sed -e 's/^.*Last Changed Rev: //g' -e 's/ .*//g')" \
--enable-verbose \
--enable-category-b \
--enable-minimizer  \
--enable-presenter-console  \
--enable-wiki-publisher  \
--enable-opengl  \
--enable-dbus  \
--enable-gstreamer \
--with-package-format="installed rpm deb"

The first switch
--with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S (%a, %d %b %Y)") - Rev. $(echo $(svn info) | sed -e 's/^.*Last Changed Rev: //g' -e 's/ .*//g')"
will produce a string in the About Dialog like this:

2012-01-02 17:20:41 (Mon, 02 Jan 2012) - Rev. 1226336

Adding date-time and revision info to the dialog is IMO a good idea.

The following switches
--enable-category-b
--enable-opengl
--enable-dbus
--enable-gstreamer
provide the basic a Linux AOO user could expect (OpenGL transitions,
GStreamer AVMedia plugin, all category B features).

The following switches
--enable-minimizer  \
--enable-presenter-console  \
--enable-wiki-publisher  \
enable the three extensions.

Finally, the buildboot should be update to use EPM 3.7 patched with
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/epm/epm-3.7.patch?revision=1162288&view=co
to produce packages installable on Debian.

Final note for those trying to build themselves:

on a default installation of Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx) live-cd
image [1] you will have to add the following pakages to build AOO with
the above mentioned switches:

sudo apt-get install \
rpm \
autoconf \
libarchive-zip-perl \
g++ \
libcups2-dev \
libpam-dev \
openjdk-6-jdk \
gperf \
libfreetype6-dev \
libgtk2.0-dev \
libxaw7-dev \
bison \
flex \
libgconf2-dev \
libgnomevfs2-dev \
libdbus-glib-1-dev \
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev \
mesa-common-dev \
libgl1-mesa-dev \
libglu1-mesa-dev \
ant \
junit4 \
libidl-dev

[1] http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/ubuntu-cdimage/lucid/

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
As you all might have seen over the last day or so, I have tried to
implement most of what is recommended below.
I have tried to get what we can for free - without changing the
buildbot.  If you are interested, go check the results of nightly builds
67-72.
I have backed out anything that break the build.   (except for the deb +
rpm part, which I will revert in a minute)

Here is my approach on the buildbots - as always, I'm interested in lots
of feedback.

 1. Linux 64 buildbot - this is the first bb and I just want a stable
    build that builds the 'default build' - really a minimal build, and
    can be used to identify when someone has 'broken the build' with a
    patch.  also used for running RAT scans, and potentially other code
    optimization and security scans.
 2. Linux 32 buildbot - when this comes online, this should be the 'full
    build' which would be more useful for testing, etc.  This could also
    include a subset of translations, etc.
 3. Windows buildbot - this would also be the 'full build' with a look
    toward finding windows build bug and testing windows
 4. Mac buildbot - similar to Win - same focus
 5. Solaris build bot - similar to Win - same focus
 6. Testing buildbot - when we finall have all of those going, it may be
    interesting to set up a bb for doing automated testing  (this would
    be of course - down the road a bit...)

long discussion to explain why I've implemented the configure options
below and then one by one reverted them.  I'm focusing on keeping a
running Linux 64 build, with the other goodies coming later.

As mentioned in a previous email, I'm working with infra on bringing
these online.  A little patience is in order, but hoping to have more
stuff, soon...

A.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 03.01.2012 14:41, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 07:38:40AM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> Maybe we should have a second configuration without any switches and running
>>> the RAT scans and produce our source releases which we have to provide.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> You make an important point.  Unlike legacy OOo project, AOO needs to
>> consider two release packages:
>>
>> 1) Source package, which builds with default build options and
>> produces working binaries with only compatible licenses (ALv2 and
>> category-a).  It might miss some functionality, but it must generally
>> still work.
>>
>> 2) Binary package, which may include category-b dependencies.
>>

>> If we only build #2 then #1 will soon break and we won't know about it
>> until it becomes very painful and expensive to fix.   Since we have
>> already made a big investment in cleaning the build to ensure #1
>> works, we should think of a way to verify that it still works, on an
>> ongoing basis.
>>
>> Maybe:
>>
>> 1) Do an extra build each night with default build options, so we get
>> #1 above?  Maybe not on every platform, or we do platforms in
>> rotation?
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) Alternate builds.  Odd days are #1, and even days are #2
>>
>> or
>>
>> 3) Something else?
>
> you have to add localized builds, as Oliver pointed out.
> Localized builds everyday will be an overhead for the build boots, for
> example, my build on 6 cores computer takes less than 1:30 hr with no
> languages, and circa 3 hrs with en-US, de, es, fr, it, ja.
>
> In this case, a weekly developer snapshot build makes more sense than
> daily builds.

Yes, it makes sense that in this case to have weekly builds.
May be an additional en-US build in between - this would be a "nice-to-have".

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/01/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> you have to add localized builds, as Oliver pointed out.
> Localized builds everyday will be an overhead for the build boots, for
> example, my build on 6 cores computer takes less than 1:30 hr with no
> languages, and circa 3 hrs with en-US, de, es, fr, it, ja.
> In this case, a weekly developer snapshot build makes more sense than
> daily builds.

I agree: daily localized builds would be too much (especially because
new languages are invariably added and this would use a lot of
resources), but it would be nice to have some periodic (every one or two
weeks, say) snapshots that are offered with multiple localizations.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

#1 above?  Maybe not on every platform, or we do platforms in
rotation?

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I am supporting this proposed change of our current Linux buildbot.

May be this buildbot could also produce more than one language.

Best regards, Oliver.