Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "J.Ryan Sobol" <js...@skitow.net> on 2004/12/31 01:52:26 UTC

Icon? issue on Mac OS X

I've found an issue removing the Icon? file, which handles custom
folder images in Mac OS X, from a revision.

$ svn remove Icon?
D         Icon

$ svn commit
subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c:765: (apr_err=135000)
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
subversion/libsvn_subr/subst.c:470: (apr_err=135000)

As a side note, I wasn't allowed to type a comment before the crash.

I'm running Mac OS 10.3, Subversion 1.1.2 for the client and the
server, and tunneling the communication over ssh.

~ ryan ~

Re: Icon? issue on Mac OS X

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 04.01.2005, at 14:49, Scott Palmer wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Hi Ryan. I'm not sure why you're getting errors, but maybe it's
>> because the 5th character in the filename is ASCII 13, which is an
>> unusual character to have in a filename.
>>
>> I don't think checking Icon[13] files into or out of a repository
>> would be successful in any case, as these files are resource-fork
>> based, not data-fork based. Since a repository is entirely data-fork
>> based, this would not seem to be possible unless you first encoded
>> the Icon[13] files into a data-fork-only representation, such as
>> binhex. The same would apply to any other files that contain
>> resources in the Mac-specific resource fork info that needs to be
>> preserved.
>
> It depends.  .icns files are not resource-fork based.  I routinely
> build the Mac version of my application on Windows.  It's a Java app,
> but I package it in a Mac application bundle.   In OS X the trend is
> to move away from resource forks, so none are required.

It's true that Mac OS X is moving away from resources, and that .icns
files are data-fork-based. But these aren't .icns files; these are the
custom icon files created by System 7.0 thru at least 10.3.7. These
files are invisible, always have the 5-character-long name "Icon[13]"
where "[13]" is the ASCII character 13 (the carriage return), and
always contain icon resources with the ID -16455. These resources can
be all or part of an icon family (ICN#, icl8, icl4, ics#, ics8, ics4)
and/or an icon suite resource (icns). These files are and must be
resource-fork based to be recognized by any version of Mac OS as custom
icon files, even when created and/or used on Mac OS X. And as such,
they can't go into a repository unencoded.

Re: Icon? issue on Mac OS X

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Jan 3, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Ryan. I'm not sure why you're getting errors, but maybe it's
> because the 5th character in the filename is ASCII 13, which is an
> unusual character to have in a filename.
>
> I don't think checking Icon[13] files into or out of a repository
> would be successful in any case, as these files are resource-fork
> based, not data-fork based. Since a repository is entirely data-fork
> based, this would not seem to be possible unless you first encoded the
> Icon[13] files into a data-fork-only representation, such as binhex.
> The same would apply to any other files that contain resources in the
> Mac-specific resource fork info that needs to be preserved.

It depends.  .icns files are not resource-fork based.  I routinely
build the Mac version of my application on Windows.  It's a Java app,
but I package it in a Mac application bundle.   In OS X the trend is to
move away from resource forks, so none are required.

Scott

Re: Icon? issue on Mac OS X

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Hi Ryan. I'm not sure why you're getting errors, but maybe it's because
the 5th character in the filename is ASCII 13, which is an unusual
character to have in a filename.

I don't think checking Icon[13] files into or out of a repository would
be successful in any case, as these files are resource-fork based, not
data-fork based. Since a repository is entirely data-fork based, this
would not seem to be possible unless you first encoded the Icon[13]
files into a data-fork-only representation, such as binhex. The same
would apply to any other files that contain resources in the
Mac-specific resource fork info that needs to be preserved.

-Ryan