Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2021/05/16 14:29:44 UTC

Re: FOAF sync towards "Nearby Apache People"

Op vr 16 apr. 2021 om 22:23 schreef Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>:

> Op vr 16 apr. 2021 om 19:43 schreef Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>
>
>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Richard Zowalla wrote:
>> > is the sync for https://community.zones.apache.org/map.html offline?
>> > I added a FOAF file to SVN a few days ago (according to [1]) but the
>> > content seems to be static. In addition, it seems, that the google map
>> > requires verification.
>

>> I think that service has effectively died due to a lack of interest.
>> There
>> had been talk of providing an easier way to maintain and share the info
>> than editing DOAP + FOAF files (which seems to be too high a barrier to
>> gain widespread participation), but volunteer energy ran out before
>> anything was ever developed...
>>
>> If you are interested in the service, the ASF infra team would love
>> someone to help get the code onto a new box, properly defined and
>> automated,
>

> Some time ago infra requested for the VM to be moved to an updated box /
> puppet6.
> This is something I started with and the initial setup for automating
> things is available here (committers private):
> https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/tree/env/comdev_nearby
>
> I’ll inform this list once the migration is done.

The migration is done and the service has been running for the last couple
of weeks.
It also performs nightly updates again for new data and the whole
configuration is also
properly automated now.

If someone wants to improve things from where we are right now,
improvements are welcome.

One thing that is not working properly at the moment is the Google Maps
usage. Since Google Maps
requires a token - and we don't have a valid one configured right now - it
is showing that we are running
a "For development purposes only" instance.

Any advice here is welcome.

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
+1 For ApacheCons at Event.

--
Thank you, Matthew

Re: FOAF sync towards "Nearby Apache People"

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
-1 on any location svc. For ASF anyone.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 7:30 AM Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Op vr 16 apr. 2021 om 22:23 schreef Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>:

> >> I think that service has effectively died due to a lack of interest.
> >> There
> >> had been talk of providing an easier way to maintain and share the info
> >> than editing DOAP + FOAF files (which seems to be too high a barrier to
> >> gain widespread participation), but volunteer energy ran out before
> >> anything was ever developed...
> >>
> >> If you are interested in the service, the ASF infra team would love
> >> someone to help get the code onto a new box, properly defined and
> >> automated,
> >

> > Some time ago infra requested for the VM to be moved to an updated box /
> > puppet6.
> > This is something I started with and the initial setup for automating
> > things is available here (committers private):
> > https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-p6/tree/env/comdev_nearby
> >
> > I’ll inform this list once the migration is done.
> >

> The migration is done and the service has been running for the last couple
> of weeks.
> It also performs nightly updates again for new data and the whole
> configuration is also
> properly automated now.
>
> If someone wants to improve things from where we are right now,
> improvements are welcome.
>
> One thing that is not working properly at the moment is the Google Maps
> usage. Since Google Maps
> requires a token - and we don't have a valid one configured right now - it
> is showing that we are running
> a "For development purposes only" instance.
>
> Any advice here is welcome.
>

> > before it finally dies! The code and docs are at
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/nearby_people .
> >>
> >> Equally if you have ideas on better ways to let people list and de-list
> >> themselves, to present the data etc, new volunteers are needed! :)
> >

> > Volunteers are welcome indeed :)
> >

> >> Nick

Thank you, Matthew