Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/10/09 10:24:58 UTC

Proposed resolution: Establish the Apache OpenOffice Project

The Apache OpenOffice PPMC and Community believe the project is ready to
graduate to a Top Level Project.

Multiple steps were taken in this direction, including:
- Community vote to start graduation process: http://s.apache.org/e7F
- Consensus on resolution text: http://s.apache.org/JN8
- Election of Starting Membership for the PMC: http://s.apache.org/aR9
- Election of a (future) PMC Chair: http://s.apache.org/019
- Feedback from mentors: http://markmail.org/message/utklcwlfwl5wp5sx

The proposed resolution text follows. I expect to start a VOTE on it on
general@incubator as soon as there is consensus (on the same list).
   ---
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software related to the OpenOffice personal productivity
applications, for distribution at no charge to the public.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache OpenOffice Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache OpenOffice Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related to the
OpenOffice personal productivity applications; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, OpenOffice" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache OpenOffice Project,
and to have primary responsibility for management of the projects within
the scope of responsibility of the Apache OpenOffice Project; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache OpenOffice Project:

     * Andre Fischer (af)
     * Andrea Pescetti (pescetti)
     * Andrew Rist (arist)
     * Ariel Constenla-Haile (arielch)
     * Armin Le Grand (alg)
     * Dave Fisher (wave)
     * Donald Harbison (dpharbison)
     * Drew Jensen (atjensen)
     * Ian Lynch (ingotian)
     * Jürgen Schmidt (jsc)
     * Kay Schenk (kschenk)
     * Kazunari Hirano (khirano)
     * Louis Suarez-Potts (louis)
     * Marcus Lange (marcus)
     * Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (orw)
     * Pedro Giffuni (pfg)
     * Peter Junge (pj)
     * Raphael Bircher (rbircher)
     * Regina Henschel (regina)
     * RGB.ES (rgb-es)
     * Roberto Galoppini (galoppini)
     * Yang Shih-Ching (imacat)
     * Yong Lin Ma (mayongl)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andrea Pescetti be
appointed to the office of Vice President, OpenOffice, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache OpenOffice Project be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
development and increased participation in the OpenOffice Project; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache OpenOffice Project be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the Apache OpenOffice.org
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
OpenOffice.org podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.
   ---
Best regards,
   Andrea Pescetti - Apache OpenOffice PPMC.

Re: Proposed resolution: Establish the Apache OpenOffice Project

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/10/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> I've proceeded
> now and started the 72-hour vote on general@incubator.

Quick follow-up:
- Vote thread is at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201210.mbox/%3C5075C5B0.4010403%40apache.org%3E
- We received some approvals, no problems so far.
- We were asked to slightly change the text of the resolution; the text
is fortunately the same, only two sentences are swapped; you can see the
difference at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/diffpagesbyversion.action?pageId=30148323&selectedPageVersions=7&selectedPageVersions=6
but this won't delay or invalidate the ongoing vote.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Proposed resolution: Establish the Apache OpenOffice Project

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 10/10/2012 Donald Harbison wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> The proposed resolution text follows. I expect to start a VOTE on it on
>>> general@incubator as soon as there is consensus (on the same list).
>>>

>> Andrea, I believe we have established consensus here and encourage you
>> to start the VOTE on general@incubator at your earliest convenience.
>>

> Well, the consensus should be established "there" (i.e., at
> general@incubator), not here at ooo-dev, and we had no replies so far
> there. But considering that http://incubator.apache.org/**
> guides/graduation.html<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html>shows that the vote can start the day after the preliminary message I sent,
> I've proceeded now and started the 72-hour vote on general@incubator.

OK, good!

> We as Apache OpenOffice PPMC members do not have (in general) binding
> votes there, so there's no need to vote. And avoiding unnecessary and
> confusing votes is the reason for me not sending a copy here: you will be
> able to find the message at
> http://mail-archives.apache.**org/mod_mbox/incubator-**
> general/201210.mbox/browser<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201210.mbox/browser>
> as soon as the archives are updated.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

You are right. We don't have voting rights on incubator, and should not do
any voting there.

Thanks for supplying the link.

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Proposed resolution: Establish the Apache OpenOffice Project

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 10/10/2012 Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The proposed resolution text follows. I expect to start a VOTE on it on
>> general@incubator as soon as there is consensus (on the same list).
>
> Andrea, I believe we have established consensus here and encourage you
> to start the VOTE on general@incubator at your earliest convenience.

Well, the consensus should be established "there" (i.e., at
general@incubator), not here at ooo-dev, and we had no replies so far
there. But considering that
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html shows that the vote
can start the day after the preliminary message I sent, I've proceeded

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
On 10/10/2012 8:23 AM, Donald Harbison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The Apache OpenOffice PPMC and Community believe the project is ready to
>> graduate to a Top Level Project.
>>
>> Multiple steps were taken in this direction, including:
>> - Community vote to start graduation process: http://s.apache.org/e7F
>> - Consensus on resolution text: http://s.apache.org/JN8
>> - Election of Starting Membership for the PMC: http://s.apache.org/aR9
>> - Election of a (future) PMC Chair: http://s.apache.org/019
>> - Feedback from mentors: http://markmail.org/message/utklcwlfwl5wp5sx
>>
>> The proposed resolution text follows. I expect to start a VOTE on it on
>> general@incubator as soon as there is consensus (on the same list).
> Andrea, I believe we have established consensus here and encourage you
> to start the VOTE on general@incubator at your earliest convenience.

+1

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group

Re: Proposed resolution: Establish the Apache OpenOffice Project

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.